Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One of these toads is not like the others.

pinkspore

Reaction score
Hello, another what-species-is-this question: I recently acquired a trio of firebellies from a college student who brought them in from northern California or possibly Oregon. She claimed the two big green guys were males and the tiny brown one was a female. The big green guys match perfectly with my two Oriental firebellies, the tiny one is just...different. Smaller, darker, browner, and just not quite the same shape. The other four seem to change color depending on stress level and temperature, the little one is always, always dark brown.

I didn't think firebellies were so wildly secually dimorphic, and I know at least two of the big guys are boys because they call. It the little brown toad just an extreme variant of Oriental? Or is it possibly a different species of firebelly?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Brown is a very common color in Oriental firebellies. Some shipments are mainly green, some mainly brown, some a mix, and some change color.

Every now and then though, Oriental firebellies are substituted with yellow-bellies or European firebellies. These differ in their skin texture, shade of brown, lip markings, and extent, color, and pattern of pigment on the underside and feet. They're subtle differences which are obvious once you're used to them. Brown phase orientals normally have two little green spots between the shoulders.

pinkspore

Reaction score
I will try to get a picture of the little guy tomorrow. I thought I had seen a pretty good range of Orientals, from the brown and bumpy to the smooth and bright green. This one is so much tinier and much more gracile than any firebelly I have seen before.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1