Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Open Top Paludarium help

Omar23

Reaction score
D3E49E65-7B89-4470-BC02-FCACB92D417B.jpeg
Hello, I recently bought this penplax “aquaterrium” because I had a vision for a nice waterfall paludarium. The picture im posting is what it looks like except I IMMEDIATELY removed all that plastic which takes up too much space. I watch serpadesign on youtube so im going for something more natural with a lot of black lava rock, drift wood, terrestrial plants and aquatic plants!
I have done my research thanks to this website and the 12x13 inch floor space should work for just one chinese FBN or one fire belly toad. The reason im posting this is: is it possible at all to have either of these species in an open top with no lid? It would be kind of difficult trying to fit a lid on curved glass, and there would be a rock waterfall i would somehow have to cover. A lid is a no-go. What could i do to make this work?
Im looking for constructive feedback please not just dismissal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • axolotl nerd:
    betta*
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    Just got to cycle the water. keep the water nice betas are pretty easy since they are very hardy, and they tend to glow once you give them the right attention. ive had a few. they are my go to fish to be honest.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    interesting.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nichill:
    Hi I'm a bit worried about our axolotl Berry she's approx 4 months old . She had a big meal yesterday of blood worm and today is very restless she's been swimming around all day and trying to get to the top sometimes not making it. Her tummy does seem really full even though she has had 2 poops . There's no gravel in her tank she's on sand . My water seems fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • Nichill:
    Amonia 0 nitrite 0 and pH 7
    +2
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    pictures would be very helpful- this could possibly be an emergency if it is something like bloat
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nichill:
    I can't seem to upload a pic I've just searched bloat and it's nothing as severe as on there . How do I upload a pic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nichill:
    I have done another water check and my pH has gone down
    +1
    Unlike
  • rads:
    Hey y’all! So I just had a quick question. I had a well established cycled tank. I added in a sand substrate that I had previously had in the tank (when it cycled the first time). It recycled and everything was golden. As I was re-adding it I noticed a smell to it but figured it was just “fish” smell. I also have a cat. Long story short, I think the cat managed to find the sand, pee in it, and because I was already suspicious I tested my tank just in case a few hours later to find my ammonia 2.0! I pulled my axolotl out and have done a 75% change. Prior to sand earlier today ammonia was 0. So do I add the ammonia blocker or stick to water changes?
    +1
    Unlike
  • rads:
    The tank should be cycled but I believe the sand added too much ammonia that normally wouldn’t be an issue. So I’m thinking ammonia block for the next few days, but then won’t the ammonia just sit there since it can’t be processed? The safer bet is always going to be water changes I know,
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i have no words, honestly. this is like the time i accidentally dropped a worm in the sink and it was never heard from again, just a big “whoops” that i don’t know how to fix— my best advice//what i’d personally do is remove the sand entirely, remove all water, keep the filter media, and just recycle while your axie is tubbed. the sheer amount of ammonia in car urine is insane, and i’m impressed your axolotl survived
    +2
    Unlike
  • rads:
    It was within the span of maybe two hours at most lol. I’ll do that and I have a second tank with lotls in it that has just enough room to temporarily keep them in it. I read up on it and decided to dose with ammo lock since it’s not a cycling tank and was cycled already along with water changes.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JazAxolotl:
    Hello everyone :]
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    hiiiii!! currently on my way to typing out a welcome speech on your thread :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • JazAxolotl:
    Aaa ty
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieFrankie:
    Hello 🙂
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieFrankie:
    Happy 2022 everybody! 😁
    +1
    Unlike
  • DeCypher:
    I used to breed axolotls, since I was 14, and sell and barter with people here. Now I’m 24 and the axolotls are fancy breeds for a ton of money. Does anyone have 2 or 3 wilds?
    +1
    Unlike
  • DeCypher:
    or leucistics
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    I have a wild male with protein gene. I soon plan on getting a Lucy female soon.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nichill:
    Hi just need a bit of advice since I added plants to my tank (java fern ) my nitrate level has gone up to 0.5 what can I do to get them back down . My axolotl seems to love the plants so don't really want to take them out . Thanks
    +1
    Unlike
  • britt6393:
    Hi new to forum and new to axolotl. Checked water parameters this am ph 7.6, high range ph 7.8, ammonia between 0 and 0.25 ppm, nitrate 5.0 ppm, nitrite 0. Should i water change or will this mess up the tank? Thank you
    +1
    Unlike
  • bhollow:
    @britt6393, those water parameters sound good i dont think you need to do a water change. youd do one when the nitrates reach 20ppm
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asholotl:
    Hello Chat!
    +1
    Unlike
    Asholotl: Hello Chat! +1