Other names for species

meganderrick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Megan Derrick
Hello friends,

I have a tiger salamander and a young axolotl, I was just wondering about other names i've heard them called. What is the difference between mud puppies, water dogs and how to they relate to axolotls and tiger salamanders? When I first got my tiger salamander the guy told me it was a water dog (at this point it looked like an axolotl with the feathery gills). Any help is appreciate, thank you!

Hello friends,

I have a tiger salamander and a young axolotl, I was just wondering about other names i've heard them called. What is the difference between mud puppies, water dogs and how to they relate to axolotls and tiger salamanders? When I first got my tiger salamander the guy told me it was a water dog (at this point it looked like an axolotl with the feathery gills). Any help is appreciate, thank you!
I think water dog is the name for the larval tiger salamander and mudpuppy is the name for the aquatic Necturus*sp salamanders

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Usually in the states the names are used as common general slang for any gilled neonate salamander/newt, almost like pollywog or tadpole. True waterdogs or mudpuppies are of the necturus species. Its thought to have started because of peoples inability to tell the 2 apart and just started calling everything with gills waterdogs or mudpuppies.

Common names change from place to place. Many times more than one animal has the same common name. That's why it is best to reference scientific names.

Sorry I misused neonate. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back