Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

pac man bite!

shanerules

Reaction score
i have had an albino pac man frog since around july and he bites.... ALOT. should i be worried? i mean it doesnt hurt.it always happens like when i get his dead food out of his cage and even when im getting his water dish to put in fresh water. he is very healthy. advice please.

-shane

Jake

Reaction score
I've noticed that these frogs normally try to bite when they're healthy. It can be pretty painful when they get up to full size.

Slimy2

Reaction score
hi

When they get big they don't really jump around much. Instead they sit around and wait for something like a cricket or mouse to come up to it and then ambushes it. It is how they make a living they go for something every chance they get. They don't really move around much. It is their aggressive attitude. They try to eat things that may appear to be bigger than it.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Pacmans are basically a mouth with a stomach, and some rudimentary parts to keep the mouth and stomach going. That's how they get their name. I had mine eat a stick once. Evidently he thought it was a cricket. Ate the whole thing. Musta been hard tryin' to pass that.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had a pacman for long, but I had an African Bullfrog for a long time and that guy really put some nasty holes in my hands (very deep, painful and bloody holes).

Lewy

Reaction score
My pacman goes for me all the time, It actually hurts more when I pull away fast and cut myself on the lip of the tank... I've done it twice now in the same place on my hand, the last one was really deep and still hasn't healed. Thetime it happen it left a scar so I'm sure that scar will be worse when it finally heals.

A bite is much less painful! and there's not as much blood

I'm getting some rubber (like on car doors) to cover the plastic lip, it's not actually that sharp, but sharp enough when you move your hand so quick. I think it's just a natural reaction to move away!

Pez

Reaction score
they have a natural tendency to lunge and bite and try and swallow anything the moves near there face, this is a sign of good health. the biting may not hurt now but i would suggest that you start feeding it with tongs, because if it ever gets a good hold of a finger it may not let it go. i think the frog is fine, but also keep in mind they are not really handling animals

Niels D

Reaction score
I've been bitten once by my adult pac and he didn't let go. I held him under the running tap untill he loosened his grip. He made a nasty cut, but in some strange way it made me proud of him. Feisty little bugger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!