Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

pacman refusing to eat

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a little low for them but I doubt it's the cause. When was the last time it ate, how frequently do you feed it and under what conditions is it kept?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the frog discoloured or look strange in any way? If you try to pick it up what happens? (Don't get bitten)

falconlb45

Reaction score
is it burrowing completely under the substrate?
and if it is, does it look like its coverd in a plastic looking skin?
and yes, that temp is a bit on the low side- try to get it up around 75-80 degrees
depending on how old the frog is, it can potentially go for a few weeks without food
when i kept horned frogs i had one that would regularly ( about 3- 4 times a year) go into hibernation
dissappear for a few weeks, then pop up hungry as ever.

salamanderguy

Reaction score
he looks a bit faded and if i pick him up he just sits there. he is about 1-2 years old. he looks a bit thin and is not burrowing should i try to lower the temp to get him to hibernate?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty sick pacman. Not sure what you could do other than take him to a frog-savvy vet (if you find one let us know because they're pretty rare).

radtad

Reaction score
You might want to try raising his body temp by putting him in a shallow dish with dechlorinated water and slowly increasing the water temp. This will sometimes inprove the guy over all. 68 is quite low for them and if he is skinnny you do not want him to hibernate he will not have the body fat to survive and you could lose him altogether. Once his temp is up he should be ready to eat.

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If force feeding is necessary, I've always found horned frogs to be quite willing eaters once their mouths are open. My trick is to gently rub the space between it's lips with my finger (caution: this method can lead to bitten fingers) until it opens it's mouth, then quickly placing the food in it's mouth before it bites down.

falconlb45

Reaction score
he looks a bit faded and if i pick him up he just sits there. he is about 1-2 years old. he looks a bit thin and is not burrowing should i try to lower the temp to get him to hibernate?

no, do not lower those temps!
if anything, increase them, get them to at least 75f
I agree completely with what radtad said-
I'd take it a step further and set up a sick tank, moist uncolored paper towel as substrate and a low water dish.
youll have to change the papertowels every day

salamanderguy

Reaction score
today he just randomly started eating i had moved him to a container with a fish tank heater in a bottle of water to raise the humidity and the temputure and he ate a cricket i guess he was trying to hibernate and the warmer temp got hin eating .

Mike Gent

Reaction score
Our Horned is even worse!

Hello to you all,

I read this thread with interest as we also have a Horned who is doing strange things!

We have had him for approx 1 year and he is (I'm guessing approx 1.5-2 years old). He always was typical of this species...in other words ferociously hungry...always.

However about 2 months (Yes months!) ago he stopped eating and just spends days and days sat in his water bowl!

Weird thing is that he looks fine...he is still fat (ish!), has good colour, moves rapidly enough if disturbed, has good skin texture with no visible signs of problems...but he hasnt eaten for 2 months!

And whats with him always sitting in his water bowl?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mike.

today he just randomly started eating i had moved him to a container with a fish tank heater in a bottle of water to raise the humidity and the temputure and he ate a cricket i guess he was trying to hibernate and the warmer temp got hin eating .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1