Question: Padding under aquarium base?

Bette

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
LadyAquarius
So, I am about to set up a 55 gallon tank, and I want to find some type of (preferably black colored) foam padding to put between the top of the stand and the base of the aquarium.
The stand I have is a very sturdy steel, but I noticed when I put the tank on it, there is a small gap in the middle area. I want to make sure that the tank is fully supported all around the edges of the base.
Does anyone have any ideas about what I can use? I've thought of using felt or foam furniture foot pads, but I think it would be better to go with a material that comes in sheets that can be cut into strips or something. Ideas? :confused:

I have also used camping mats from the 99p store under my tank and have had no problems.

I'm not sure how easy they are to find where you are, but I used camping mats under my fish tanks on my metal racks. They are quite dense foam, but they are easy to cut to size with a Stanley knife. Like these: Amazon.com: Equinox Hood Pad (3/8 x 20 x 72-Inch): Sports & Outdoors But mine cost me 99p from a local bargain shop lol

So today at the local hardware store I found weather stripping which is "super firm closed cell sponge-rubber", and it looks like it might just fit the bill. And it has the adhesive backing which is even better. The metal tank stand I have does not have a solid top, instead it has about a 3 inch wide frame with cross bracing. So the weather stripping I can use around the edges(double it up if I need to).
Sammy, the mat you suggested is also closed cell sponge/foam - and what a great idea! I think that I will use that under one of my other tanks....and if this other stuff doesn't work, I'll get one of those mats and just cut it in strips.
:happy:

Last edited:
My rack doesn't have a solid top either, I ended up getting some wood cut for each tank and stuck the mat to the top with double sided tape.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back