Paramesotriton in US

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you go into a pet store in the US and get a Paramesotriton, which one is the most likely for it to be?
I know it's hard to tell them apart. This is what I got today, I know it's not the greatest picture. I think two are male and one is female. The female is mossy colored.

thanks

Attachments

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan
Hey Dawn,

As I mentioned to you before, they look like P.chinensis (which I know is what you thought).

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
They look like P.chinensis to me too, though a side view would probably help.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, here you are. I won't be back till Monday though to see your verdict! Alas, to have to work for a living...

But also, I'm thinking this is the only kind that really gets sold in the US, is that the case?

I love that greenish one on the end.

Attachments

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I once bought 8 Paramesos from a pet shop. They turned out to be 3 different species! Yellow spots like I see in the 3rd photo (on your first post) are a giveaway for P. chinensis.

freves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Foster Reves
They look pretty much like the group that I bought from a local petstore last year. I think that mine are P. chinensis as well. It is interesting to note that you have both light and dark forms. I also have 2.1. How are you keeping yours?
Chip

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
cichlidjedi
I have noticed many Pet Shops in the Midwest get newts from distributors that are sold as rough back newts. The most common species is chinensis. Also hongkongensis are also sold as rough backs and they seem to be more common in the early fall (September). My job takes me into over 100 independabtly owned pet stores all over the northern midwest and that's how I got my groups of chinensis and hongkongensis. All these animals I bought were sold to the pet stores as rough back newts.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now I put them in a ten gallon with an air bubbler and a bridge and some large rocks (to haul out on) and it's about 1/3 high with water. I'm transitioning them from the petstore where they were in 2 inches of water. I believe they are pretty aquatic and will want a full water tank with just some haul-outs, like Pachytriton? I also cut up a worm and put it in a jar, they were fed blackworms at the petstore. I didn't expect them to really eat yet, and they didn't, but at least they know what fare they'll be getting here!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1