Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2

jasper408

Reaction score
Now is around the time of year that laoensis begin courting again!

I didn't want to create a new thread, but I would like to add my experience to the mix. It seems as though I was successful this year. :happy: Temperatures have been cooling rapidly over here, and the water temperature was 54.2 F (12.3 C) when the first attempt and successful mating occurred. It was pitch-black when I turned on the light and saw the scene depicted in the attached picture.

Please excuse the quality! It was dark, and I didn't want to surprise them by turning on the light, so I just took a quick shot. You can see a spermataphore under the female, the male biting the female, and you can see the spermataphore hanging from her cloaca slightly.

Any other stories for this year? I wish you all the best of luck!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 574

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2

... laying eggs, this weekend!

Paul

Attachments

• laing_eggs.jpg
    laing_eggs.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 541

jasper408

Reaction score
Congrats! How long after successful spermatophore transfer, on average, did the female begin laying?

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2

... very different - 2 weeks to 2 months!

Paul

steven1969s

Reaction score
Hi Paul.

I have 8 juvenile laoensis (about 5 months old) that I bought from a local breeder and he sold them to me as terrestrial. How long do I wait before introducing them to water.
Can I make up a setup like yours with 1/2 land 1/2 water? In land, for me, they are proven very difficult to feed since they don't show any interest in food. Maybe this will be different in water.
The temps in the newt room are currently 60f (16c), I tried feeding them fruit flies, pinhead crickets, small meal worms. The only thing that seems to works is putting a bunch of black worms in a small white dish with a little water and they somewhat seem interested.

Anyway, I know they are eating some of it, but I feel as if they should be eating more.
They are in a big plastic tub approx 36"lx20"wx20"t.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance fopr your help.

Steve

steven1969s

Reaction score
Hi Paul.

At what temps do you raise your juveniles?
I'm having a hard time getting a group of juveniles to eat. My newt room is 60f, so I'm wondering if this too cold?

Steve

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!