Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paranoid Newbie Questions :) TIA

thedanielames

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first axolotl, named Cricket, and am in the process of cycling my 38-gallon tank which I initially thought was cycled when I purchased them, but now appears as if it will take another week or two. I’m experienced in basic cycling and have friends who have/will continue to help, no problems there. In the meantime my axolotl, a juvenile approx. 4”, is in a 15L tub that is filled with approximately 2 gallons of water treated with Prime. Because the tub is smaller the temperature does fluctuate between 62-68 degrees F throughout the day. It could get higher but I use ice packs to keep it within that range; being so small and cooled rather than heated it’s impossible to remain exact temperature consistent as you can imagine.

My question to you all relates to new axolotl stress and water changes while tubbing. Based off my research, I’m concerned my axolotl’s forward turned gills and occasionally bent tail might be a sign of increased stress (pics attached). I just received Cricket 4-days ago and they are eating good (black worms x2 daily with an occasional pellet) and eliminating. I do have an API test kit and my greatest concern at the moment is that I almost always get a MORNING reading of .25ppm ammonia, which I’m aware can happen with water treated with Prime, however I’ve only been performing about 75% daily water changes, also in the morning after the water has been initially tested. On day 2, it was a battle to remove Cricket from their tub and I figured they’d be significantly less stressed if I completed this daily water change with them in tub using my 10-gallon vacuum, and that has been our method going forward the past few days.

Once performed and tested, these water changes appear to bring ammonia down to 0ppm in the tub. Given this method, and the morning .25ppm ammonia readings, I was wondering a few things... A) is the axolotl in significant danger of ammonia in the tub still with these daily 75% changes instead of 100%? B) would two daily 75% water changes be better, also keeping their stress in mind -or- could I double-up on Prime with axolotl IN the tub to help neutralize the minimal ammonia left over for the single daily change? Any and all advise on in-tub care and routine would be grateful. Also, least stressful way to “catch” your axolotl? Mine swims in fast circles like crazy if I try to catch them in a smaller container, and I want to avoid touching them by hand at all cost... maybe any experiences with a fine mesh net?

Lastly, the pics attached are of Cricket so you all can see the forward facing gills (though they do have long fluffy gills) and the occasionally bent tail, which typically corrects itself when seen this way within a few minutes and will be straight again. Other pics are of Cricket hanging out in tub and one of them begging for morning food, they do like to eat! Thank you all in advance for reading my novel!

F1F49981-1EF3-4F0F-BD70-CF536C5BE2DF.jpeg D1C51CA8-025B-4F8D-8C21-EE14499BDF90.jpeg B49A97B7-FE60-4BDF-8B6E-A15B759011D7.jpeg
1A8D5E79-7212-4742-A86D-42D7E48138E6.jpeg

xxianxx

Reaction score
The tubs not going to be cycled so do 100% water changes. Many axolotl are commercially raised with daily high volume water changes, they do fine. Wipe the tub floor every few cleans to remove bacterial build up which can rot toes. Make sure the water change is done with the same temp water as in the tub.

thedanielames

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise! :) I ended up relocating tub to a different surface and just getting a second one side-by-side so I can maintain duplicate parameters. This way I can quickly transfer the axolotl over to the “clean” tub using a large fine mesh fish net after feedings when I’m performing daily maintenance on the “dirty” tub. Crossing fingers they get used to the transfer quickly and their stress is minimized.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
For catching my axolotl, I usually lower the tub into the water and then lower my gloved-to-the-elbows hand into it. When he was little, I did this often just to get him used to my arm. You can (very very gently) grab them and guide them into the tub. I usually place my fingers underneath his body and then wrap my thumb over top and around. You're not really grabbing it as much as gently pushing it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!