Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pennsylvania Herping

bludaffodils

Reaction score
Greetings Herpers!

I'm interested in any advice on PA herping. I've got lots of books, but I'm sure there are more great tips out there. Hearing from real people is much more fun than reading. :)

I've been herping in Huntingdon, PA so far this season and I've found Wood turtles, snapping turtles, painted turtles, Northern Red Sala, Four toed Sala, Spotted Sala, Jeffersons Sala, Red Spotted Newts, Dusky Sala, Spring Sala, Pickerel frog, wood frogs.

Does anyone have a good handle on how to differentiate the Northern Dusky from the Mountain Dusky? I am guessing by where we found them they're Northern, but I'm struggling to tell the difference. Pictures are attatched. I also have photos of dusky larvae.

Thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 2,131

creekcritter

Reaction score
book

Congrats on finding some of our hidden jewels. I would suggest
Amphibians and Reptiles of Pennsylvania by Hulse, McCoy, and Censky. It is a great addition and must have for a herper in the state. I am on my 2nd copy now!

Thomas

cecalak

Reaction score
Without having the animal in hand, it can be hard to differentiate between ochropheus and fuscus, but one of the best ways to distinguish them is counting costal grooves. I don't have a field guide with me right now to double check this, but I believe that fuscus/conanti have more costal groves (14-15) than the ochropheus group (12-13). Before you quote me on that, you may want to check out Petranka's Salamanders of the US and Canada to make sure.

sean n dad

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in Bucks County. My son & I started looking here also. We have 200 acers of conservency land behind our home to search for stuff. I have found a few salamanders, but we need to find out more information on where to look for these guys.
Where can we find information on this?
Ed
Sean n Dad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1