pH difficulties. if anyone can help it'd mean the world!

taleajane

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello everyone!
I'm having some difficulty with my pH and would really appreciate advice.
I moved a few months back and have found the water in the area that I live in has very low pH (6). I have been trying for over 2 months now to raise the pH in my tank but i'm not having any luck. I've tried shell grit (slowly adding more and monitoring levels daily. I have tried all the way up to 1.5kg and it hasn't made a difference) and crushed coral. Neither has done the trick. It raised by .5 for a few days and then dropped back down to 6 again. I've removed driftwood from my tank too. My other parameters are fine and stable (nitrites 0, ammonia 0, nitrates 5ppm) but I worry about the pH. I want what is best for my axolotl! Can anyone suggest any other options to raise it? I'm getting pretty desperate and wondering about a buffer (if I can find an axolotl friendly brand), but if there is a better option I would really prefer that as i'd like to stay free of chemicals.

Last edited:
Hi

Did you have the crushed coral in the filter? how long did you leave it?

yes all botanicals need to be removed as they lower it even more.

You may need to look at bottled spring water if nothing works.

Please send a picture of your tank. All sorts of wood will drop the pH. Try crushed coral or seashells to raise the pH.

I have low PH too. Have had coral bones in a mesh bag in my tank for a few days but no difference. Used bones because I was unable to find crushed, I assume there shouldn't be much difference? Previously tried half a teaspoon of bi-carb/baking soda in my 110L tank and it raised it by .3, was very surprised, especially since online it said 1 tsp per 20L. Also interested to see others opinions

Yea, baking soda works the fastest. It's also a bit tricky (because it is so fast), so general advise is to remove inhabitants from the aquarium before you use it (and test pH before putting them back).
You would also need to add it every time you change the water, which can become tiresome as well.

Shell grit, crushed corals, limestome, etc. all work much more steady, but much more slowly. Smaller pieces (or even powder) of course works quicker. Putting it in the filter or near flowing water helps with the speed as well.
Still, it's a slower solution.
Positive side is that you can just leave it in, and as long as you do small water changes (rather than large) it won't need interaction.

Since your tap water is acidic it will be an uphill battle, though.

----

This is also a good opportunity for me to once again advertise planted tanks.
Growing plants use more CO2 than they respirate and produce oxygen, raising pH. (In your case, since yours is below 7)

Basically, growing plants function as a pH buffer, keeping pH around 7.
You wouldn't even need typical "plants" - any green algae would do the same, though these are of course not as pretty.

Better yet: if you have a lot of growing plants, you will need to do far less water changes, so you won't be adding as much acidic tap water to start with.

I know planted tanks aren't for everyone, and they come with their own problems. Even more, to raise pH all the way from 6 you would need a lot of plants, and they would need to grow very well.
It'll also take a while to get it all set up and balanced and growing, so it's not a short-term solution either.

It's just that I'm a plant fan and couldn't pass the opportunity to preach ;)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back