PH lower than 6.5, what is used to get a higher ph?

inuratus

Reaction score
Country
United States
My tank has finally cycled and is now housing my axolotl . Going in the ph was around 7.6. The next day I tested and the ph sits at 6.4.
I have been searching for something to raise the ph and buffer the water. I have read crushed coral, limestone, sea shells and aragonite would help. BUT I've also read elsewhere that coral and limestone were not safe for axolotls. Which is true?

I'm looking for the smallest and cheapest option as I don't have much money atm. It seems I can only find upwards of 5 lbs of rock, but I have a 20 gallon tank and I only really need 1 rock. Alternatively would a cluster of aragonite work?

Try a big water change first - when you finish cycling your pH can be all over the place - I'd do another 1 after 2 days and then decide where your pH is sitting and IF you need to do a more permanent solution

I think you can use calcium for turtles. It's safe for axolotls and it raises pH and hardness. The amount is try and error, first try a small amount and check in a couple of days.

Okay I'll try doing a couple water changes and see what happens. Right now my axie is very distressed and I'm not sure if it's the ph drop or water flow. All of my other parameters are good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 nitrates.

My tank has finally cycled and is now housing my axolotl . Going in the ph was around 7.6. The next day I tested and the ph sits at 6.4.
I have been searching for something to raise the ph and buffer the water. I have read crushed coral, limestone, sea shells and aragonite would help. BUT I've also read elsewhere that coral and limestone were not safe for axolotls. Which is true?

I'm looking for the smallest and cheapest option as I don't have much money atm. It seems I can only find upwards of 5 lbs of rock, but I have a 20 gallon tank and I only really need 1 rock. Alternatively would a cluster of aragonite work?
I chose to use crushed sea shells. It got my pH right and properly stabilized. I know some people use aragonite too. Remember to add little amount on the filter, so the pH don't raise too quickly. Big pH swings are bad for the axy and might cause cycle crash!

I chose to use crushed sea shells. It got my pH right and properly stabilized. I know some people use aragonite too. Remember to add little amount on the filter, so the pH don't raise too quickly. Big pH swings are bad for the axy and might cause cycle crash!
I added a limestone rock and it only seems to help minimally. I'm wondering if I should crush the rock instead so that it maximizes it's surface area if that'll help. I'm all too familiar with the ph crashing my cycle. It has already done this twice now.

Johns solution at the 40% dose will take 6.4 water to 7.8 and only minimally change the GH and KH so you will likely still need the limestone etc

HERE is my Johns Solution hand out

Johns solution at the 40% dose will take 6.4 water to 7.8 and only minimally change the GH and KH so you will likely still need the limestone etc

HERE is my Johns Solution hand out
I've actually made John's solution because of you but I haven't added it to the tank because the axie wasn't in it. I'll add it in then. Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back