pH too low

Ally_pru

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! I am having no luck with raising the pH. I’ve done everything I can think of. add crushed corals, cleaned the filters, and the tank is spotless. I just have no idea what could be lowering it so much. It keeps dropping to 6. Tank is cycled & parameters are good. Does anyone have any other advice on how to safely raise and stabilize pH?

Add rocks, rocks tend to raise the PH value.
Adding leaflitter or soft water will lower it.

[QUOTE="Igneous, post: 494782, member: 38453
Add rocks, rocks tend to raise the PH value.
Adding leaflitter or soft water will lower it.
[/QUOTE]
What type of rocks? And what is leaflitter? Thanks!

Googling for rocks to use in an aquarium gave me the following results:
Adding rocks and wood to your freshwater aquarium
This website explains the upsides and downsides of both rocks and wood in the aquarium.
Can I Use Outdoor Gravel or Rocks in an Aquarium?
A very interesting website, they also explain the difference between which rocks to use and which ones not to and how to test rocks to determine which aren't safe.
Limestone Rocks in Aquariums and Water pH
Also a great page, here they explain why it's not always a good idea to change the waters PH value.
How to Raise pH in Aquarium Naturally?
And last but not least, this website dives deeper into the various materials and stones to raise the waters PH value.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back