Photos of T.marmoratus larvae

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
One of my females has been laying eggs for weeks but from what I could see, they appeared infertile. The other day I noticed something strange swimming across the tank - now there are dozens of tiny larvae. I am leaving them in the tank for now but will take out the surviving ones to raise them in two weeks when I'm back from a trip. Last two photos are of the female (the very last one is just an enlarged piece of the other photo where you can see the skin gland openings).

Sawyer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
SeaBee
That's an awesome surprise. Good luck with the larvae.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Congrats! Triturus larvae are the most fun to raise!

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Thanks for the nice comments. I hope I will be able to successfully raise some of them. They are incredibly cute and the older ones are now doing a lot more swimming.
Here's a fresh photo:

Attachments

Yahilles

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Display Name
Janusz Wierzbicki
Great discovery!

But the adult animal seems to be a male :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Intersex? I seem to recall hearing of marmoratus females with certain male atributes (i.e. checkered dorsal line). Perhaps a case of gender inhibition similar to what happens in P.waltl?
Or, of course, maybe that´s not the female at all xD

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
The photos are of the female. The males have fairly large crests at the moment, hers is just a little raised line. I might be wrong but my other two females (of the same origin) don't look like that even in breeding season. I can't compare at the moment because they didn't enter the water - in their terrestrial phase they have nothing raised on their backs at all.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
In that case it´s just one of those females that inspire the name "Elga".

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
Eva, remind me to fish my girls out tomorrow and we will have a look :)

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
awesome, spectacular photos! My marms will hopefully breed this spring too :)

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
Here is a photo of one of mine, this one is unrelated to Eva's and a bit older. Her crest ( the marmoratus) is possibly slightly bigger than Eva's marmoratus.

Attachments

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
If these newt females were human, society would probably be forcing them to purchase crest removing creams and whatnot...

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
The parents stopped all courtship some time ago and the males are now a lot more interested in food again. The female kept laying infertile eggs for some time. I decided to take the larvae out of the tank a couple of weeks ago to prevent losing all of them. They are in small plastic tubs with shallow water and some plants and have been eating artemia. I managed to capture 10 survivors. Last week I did a huge clean up of the tank and afterwards I noticed another larva swimming around. How it managed to avoid being seen for weeks and then survived the clean up operation is a mystery. You can see this one in the photos - it hasn't been on the artemia diet so it looks very different from the rest.

Attachments

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Two days ago the first larva decided to leave the water and more are looking quite ready. The metamorph has about 4cm and looks nice and plump so hopefully should do well in the future.

Attachments

Squirt88

Reaction score
Country
England
WOW those morphs are soooooo cute I'm sure you will do a great job raising them :)

HodgeaPodge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ashley
They look so happy and healthy!

And freakin adorable. Very nice pics!

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Thank you for the nice comments. Third larva morphed today so the number of tubs is slowly reducing (they are all separate so that they can't snack on each other). I hope the newtlets start eating soon. It is obvious that the metamorphosis is a very difficult time for them.

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
All 11 are now out of water and seem to be doing well. They even eat when I'm looking. Luckily it has warmed up here and it rains more so I can fatten them up with fresh garden worms. Here's some more pictures.

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    hello, I am currently tubbing my axolotl due to cycling the tank. I have read different answers on how many times to do a 100% water change a day when tubbing. Some say once and some say twice. I just want to actually ask and get answers for myself. Thank
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    As often as you need to keep the water clean! Since you´re cycling, I assume you have a test kit. Just test a few times to see how long it takes for your ammonia to go up, and as soon as it does, change the water.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Yes,I have the master test kit. Thank you! So just test the water in the tub that my axolotl is in now to gauge off of for changing?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
    Murk: That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the... +1