Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pic of <i>Hynobius leechii</i>

P

paris

here is a cute pic i got of my leechii. i hope to post more later. the ones i have are from the north korean peninsula
14365.jpg

C

chris

Paris, could you post pics of their setup?
Lovely sal, I WANT SOME HYNOBIUS!!!!
Chris

P

paris

here are 2 more pics i had on my computer.they dont do them justice-pople say they are plain but in the light you can see all the mottled colours-they look like granite.

14444.jpg

and here is another far away pic, if i said they were shy it would be an exaggeration-but when i have the camera out they seem to know
14445.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
What a nice surprise
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the extra pics. I guess that's moss spread over it's dorsum in the first pic, but it almost looks as if the sal has scales! Paris, I'll look around and see if I can't find some documentation on H.leechii to share with you, though it seems Henk already has you supplied.

Froggy, I can't see why hobbyists would find Hynobius species any more appealing than N. Amerian sals, for example, of which there is such variety. I'm mainly keen on them because they're the ones that inhabit my part of the world. Still, Paris has a point about how beautiful they can be when seen up-close. Anyway, I'm glad to see any interest shown in Hynobiids on this forum
wink.gif

I'd like someday to have a chance to raise some leechi from eggs. The closest I've ever been to one was this grotesque museum display:

14448.jpg

(that's H.arisanensis from Taiwan on the left and H.leechi from the Korean Peninsula on the right)

(Message edited by TJ on April 09, 2004)

P

paris

no its not moss tim-those are the coastal grooves (if you are talking about the first pic) i think the interest in hynobids arises from their unusual egg sacs and breeding, plus they are more out going than some ambystomids.

TJ

Reaction score
Really? Then those are some very groovy grooves
biggrin.gif
Yes, the egg sacs are unusual. What other species have them? I only know of some Taricha with egg sacs. Do your leechi feed from your hand? Also, I'd love to see another shot of those grooves sometime...

(Message edited by TJ on April 09, 2004)

M

mark

Nice pics Paris, do you only have one?
I'm with Chris saying that i want some Hynobius to there really cool.
And echoing what Chris said again, could you post set-up pics?

P

paris

yeah ill get on the set up pics this weekend (the animals live at the shop). no i have 2 but unfortunately i think they are both females, i have 2 more that are promised to me-hopefully ill have opposite sexes then.i'd love to see those egg sacs in person.

tim, i think hynobid egg sacs are unique in the fact that they allow the larvae to hatch individually yet swim around inside -protected- before the sac releases them some time later. with taricha eggs they arent really a sac, more sort of small jelly mass-they larvae hatch individually and swim away. i was thinking perhaps the siberian salamander had a similar egg case-i dont know there since all i have seen of them is protective fathers hugging (ok well insemenating) egg 'sacs' but they could be egg clusters too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1