Picky Axolotl won’t eat

Kalileigh09

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have an axie he is still under a yr and he has been eating red wigglers very well. I was buying them at Walmart in the fishing section but they have let them all die and aren’t replenishing them, probably bc it’s getting cold and people aren’t fishing. I’ve tried earthworms he spits them up. I’ve tried letting them get room temp and I’ve tried blanching them. I’ve tried the refrigerated worms that also say they are red wigglers but he won’t have them. He eats blood worms fine and when I found the same worms at a Walmart an hr away he ate them so I don’t think he is sick.
Any ideas? I’ve thought about ordering worms but I think I would have to order in bulk and not know if he is gonna eat them or not. I’m having to travel a lot and feed lots of treats right now but I’m afraid surrounding Walmarts will run out as well.
Thanks In advance Radagast and I appreciate it!

So I have an axie he is still under a yr and he has been eating red wigglers very well. I was buying them at Walmart in the fishing section but they have let them all die and aren’t replenishing them, probably bc it’s getting cold and people aren’t fishing. I’ve tried earthworms he spits them up. I’ve tried letting them get room temp and I’ve tried blanching them. I’ve tried the refrigerated worms that also say they are red wigglers but he won’t have them. He eats blood worms fine and when I found the same worms at a Walmart an hr away he ate them so I don’t think he is sick.
Any ideas? I’ve thought about ordering worms but I think I would have to order in bulk and not know if he is gonna eat them or not. I’m having to travel a lot and feed lots of treats right now but I’m afraid surrounding Walmarts will run out as well.
Thanks In advance Radagast and I appreciate it!
Best worms are dendrobaena worms by a bulk lot.its the fall here in the uk and winter is coming.i have started my own wormery to get through the winter .it's possible to keep it indoors and keep the worms happy.there are a number of sites on YouTube and the web on how to make and start a womery.i found what we call the large lob worms (night crawlers) are not very palatable for axies .the wormery only needs some plastic box etc nothing expensive

I raise my own worms to feed my axies, so much cheaper. I buy a lbs or two at a time online. In the USA you can try memms worms, or urban worm. If you totally geek out about worms check out Bentley Christie for more in depth information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back