Pics of taricha granulosa

Followgravity

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
Found six of these yesterday around a pond near my house took my phone back today to get some pics and only found this guy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362200096.688212.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362200121.737270.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362200149.186050.jpg
I'm pretty sure they are granulosa not torosa because he is curling his tail in the unken reflex... But a second opinion on that would be greatly appreciated

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
That guy is really dark. It might be rivularis. It's definitely not torosa, but 'unken' has nothing to do with that. Torosa have a pale under-eye line, and the margin between ventral and dorsal coloration is very blurry. Granulosa have dark eyeliner, and a very sharp margin.

Rivularis, however, are usually very dark where torosa and granulosa are more mud-brown. You're also within range for rivularis.

Followgravity

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
Good to know I was reading about the tail curling thing last night
Other than the darker coloring is there a way to tell the Rivularis from the granulosa? Also how Likely would it be that they are hanging out in the same pond together?

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are T. granulosa, rivularis have black eyes (no gold in the iris) and are pretty uncommon that far north.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
Thanks, Perry. If that's the case, those are dark granulosa! They're pretty. I've always wanted some rivularis.

Followgravity

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
Thanks guys I went back down to the pond today and there are egg clusters everywhere

erik3333

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Nice pics. Do they ever do the unken in captivity?

Followgravity

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
Not really but the two that I have are still juvenile they are pretty fearless

JReed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the great photos!

I just wanted to say that my Taricha granulosas ( see attached pics) come in a range of colors: from almost black on top to very light brown on top. The two juveniles I have pictured are actually siblings raised from the same batch of eggs (same mother), yet they have quite different shading. Its interesting how different they can be...which is one reason I think people have difficulty with identification.

But I agree with others here, yours look like T. granulosas to me!

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    Chat Bot: Redear has joined the room.