Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plankton

H

heather

I saw some frozen plankton cubes in a fish store today. The package said it was suitable for all salt and freshwater carnivorous fish. Any one ever try this, or have opinions on whether or not I should give it a go? The clerk told me that all the fish he has fed plankton to really ate it up
Thanks, Heather

cheese

Reaction score
I haven't ever tried plankton on amphibians or carnivorous fish, but in my experience it is just a liquid you put in reef tanks for filter feeders. I'm not sure any amphibians would be able to eat it. If that helps...?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Zoo plankton can be quite large (Daphnia are zoo plankton) so why not.

taapua

Reaction score
I feed my axies large chunks of krill, which is generally about twice the size of the ocean plankton sold for fish. I really don't think that there is much difference between the two except for size, and they both have excellent nutritional profiles.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
It's comprised of marine organisms, so I wouldn't use it as a staple for freshwater animals, but very good as an occasional addition to diet. Most aquatic salamanders accept it eagerly, great for small species and young animals as breaks up into tiny pieces...a good way to provide nutritional variety to animals for whom there are not many options.

I have some amphibian nutrition articles posted at:
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1