Planning a new tank

Irrlich

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Goodmorning!

I'm looking to give my axolotls a new and bigger tank in the coming weeks/month.
I currently have two 7 year old Axolotls living in a 1 meter long 130 liter tank (+/- 35 gallons).

However I've set my sights on buying this beauty: SPLENDID PRO
A 2 meter (6.6 foot) long, 500 liter (132 gallon) tank from Aquatlantis.

I'm planning on installing a cannister filter and a chiller, since there have been some odd hot summers in the past and I don't want that stressing out my lotls again.
I also want to build a cave network for them to hide in and explore.

I do have a few things I would like your advice on:
Currently the two have lived the majority of their life separated by a glass divider since the male is very nippy. If provided with this much space, and an expansive cave system, would it be possible to house them together again?
I intend to have the caves span across the whole length of the tank, and be at least two stories tall. As a material would styrofoam covered with cement be a safe option?
I don't want to silicone the entire construction to the bottom of the tank, so I'm thinking of incorporating some large rocks into the foam build to hold the caves down. Would this work?
Are there any other things I should keep in mind with a build such as this?

I thought you had three? Kieke, Lotte, and Axel, right?

Anyway, there is actually a specific type of foam called aquarium foam. Have you looked at Aquarium Co-op's website yet? You could decorate PVC pipes with aquarium foam.

Hi

I used to have three indeed. Unfortunately Lotte passed away a few weeks back during a heatwave where the summer temperatures reached above 30 degrees celcius for several days, including a day or two above 40 degrees. These heatwaves are highly unusual for the area I live in, normally houses here don't need AC, but with the changing climate I am going to invest in a chiller.

Yeah it's on youtube that I got the inspiration for foam, but I'm not going to use (only) pvc pipes. I want to build nice roomy caves they can turn in. One definitely will be on the side of the tank I can look into.
I'm also thinking of covering the foam with coconutfiber sheets so I can let java fern root into it.

Hi

I used to have three indeed. Unfortunately Lotte passed away a few weeks back during a heatwave where the summer temperatures reached above 30 degrees celcius for several days, including a day or two above 40 degrees. These heatwaves are highly unusual for the area I live in, normally houses here don't need AC, but with the changing climate I am going to invest in a chiller.

Yeah it's on youtube that I got the inspiration for foam, but I'm not going to use (only) pvc pipes. I want to build nice roomy caves they can turn in. One definitely will be on the side of the tank I can look into.
I'm also thinking of covering the foam with coconutfiber sheets so I can let java fern root into it.
Oh...I'm so sorry to hear about Lotte. That must have been devastating having raised her from a hatchling.😢💔

You must watch Aquarium Info's channel too then. I'm considering getting a tank this week too. Hoping to raise my own, I've been learning so much here interacting with people.

be aware that any cement that is used may need to sealed to prevent leaching into the water and also breaking down.
any chemical that is used to seal might produce chemicals whilst curing ie.. latex = ammonia. make sure it is thoroughly set and washed down before use.
make sure the glass base of the tank is thick enough to withstand the additional weight.
also make sure whatever the tank is on can take the weight as well.

Oh...I'm so sorry to hear about Lotte. That must have been devastating having raised her from a hatchling.😢💔

You must watch Aquarium Info's channel too then. I'm considering getting a tank this week too. Hoping to raise my own, I've been learning so much here interacting with people.
Yes it was. It didn't help that she was my favorite. She had such a lovely soft personality.
I burried her under a cherry tree sapling.

be aware that any cement that is used may need to sealed to prevent leaching into the water and also breaking down.
any chemical that is used to seal might produce chemicals whilst curing ie.. latex = ammonia. make sure it is thoroughly set and washed down before use.
make sure the glass base of the tank is thick enough to withstand the additional weight.
also make sure whatever the tank is on can take the weight as well.
These are very good points! Thank you!
I think I won't be using cement after all. I'm thinking of sealing it with Mr.Boat Epoxy for aquariums (Epoxy voor aquarium en achterwanden) Considering they're partnered with an aquatic zoo and an yearly aquarium + vivarium expo I feel safe that this stuff shouldn't be toxic.
The glass is mm thick and the cabinet can carry 750 kg total. Subtract 500 kg for the water, and I got 250 kg left for the tiles I want to use to weigh down the foam. Would that be sufficient?

These are very good points! Thank you!
I think I won't be using cement after all. I'm thinking of sealing it with Mr.Boat Epoxy for aquariums (Epoxy voor aquarium en achterwanden) Considering they're partnered with an aquatic zoo and an yearly aquarium + vivarium expo I feel safe that this stuff shouldn't be toxic.
The glass is mm thick and the cabinet can carry 750 kg total. Subtract 500 kg for the water, and I got 250 kg left for the tiles I want to use to weigh down the foam. Would that be sufficient?
once every thing is in the tank the water amount will be less than 500 gallon so with the weight of the tiles etc.. should still be within limits although I would be cautious about cutting it so close. also make sure the tank is on a sturdy enough floor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back