Plants & fertilizers

F

filipe

Hi,

Some of my newt's tanks have an assortment of plants and I was just wondering if it's ok to use the same fertilizers and substrates I use in my fish tanks.
I am aware that these animals are highly sensible to water chemistry but these plant products are largely used in fish aquaria without harm. What's your thoughts on this?

Filipe

ive done quite well with well planted aquaria using a layer of peat then med coarse sand over that. you can use dead leaves as well.the plants will severely root and grow like crazy. it will turn the water a tea color from the tannins, but with a few water changes, it reduces greatly. i know tannins in the water are really good for some fish (even triggering them to breed) but how is it with newts and sals, i couldnt tell u. does anybody know????

Yes, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Generally I've known of peat being used to reduce the pH of aquarium water for fish that live naturally in acidic water or migrate to it to breed. I know a couple of discus breeders and people who keep fish that originate from the black waters of the Rio Xingu who's fish thrive on it.

I'm not entirely sure how well caudates would take it however unless they are known to originate in acidic environments. With enough water changes though, just like tannins, the effects will dissipate.

(Message edited by gar4016 on December 16, 2004)

Hi,

Thanks for your ideas but I was also wondering if those liquid fertilizers you use in fish tanks (like Tetra PlantaMin) are safe with newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back