Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants for Ambystoma Macrodactylum tank?

burningchick3n

Reaction score
I need some recommendations for some plants for a ten gallon housin two long toed salamanders. My criteria are:

Readily available in stores

Low Maintenance

Cheap (if store bought)

I would also consider anything wild caught in the pacific NW

(oh, and the substrate im using is about 3-4 inches of fine cocofiber, i could go deeper if needed)
Thanks for ay help :rolleyes:

taricha29

Reaction score
Hi,
I kept some of those over the summer 2 years ago. I put two really mossy/somewhat decomposed pieces of wood and a few baby ferns (collected from outside, planted in mini pots buried in the substrate) in there. That plus misting made a nice habitat for the season. The little bugs in the wood self propagated for a while and fed the salamanders, and I was able to supplement that with critters from my compost. That aspect of the ecosystem was probably coolest to watch.
I'm not sure if ferns would survive long-term but I think it's definitely possible, worked well for me. Plant viability will largely depend on how much light is available to the tank. If you will be putting it near a window that receives strong natural light, you can experiment with native plants from outside - I would just look for small plants that are growing in an area that doesn't seem too drastically different from conditions you can mimic in your tank. I have had native wildflowers survive for months indoors when placed near a sunny window. I would recommend burying a small pot (like the kind you buy herbs in) w/ chemical-free soil, instead of planting directly in the substrate.

burningchick3n

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, your advice is really aprecciated. I took your advice to use plants from outside and found something small in my moms garden (hope she doesnt notice, haha). I'll keep you guys updated on how it survives.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1