Plants for triturus

W

william

does anyone know of any plants that are good in a semi aquatic setup, that would prefrably be british, and would tolerate low light.

plants already:
silverweed, terrestrial, not sure how good it will be.
a type of grass that is found in abundance around my pond, also don't know how good it will be. canadian pondweed, eldoea sp. don't know how well it will do.
spider plant,(i know not british) i think it will be okay in low light
moss, of a species covering land.

triturus vulgaris and helveticus will be t he species in the tank.

I use Pothos Ivy (or Devils ivy). you can get varieties with small leaves, and it does well in practically any kind of setup.

oh right thank's i'll bear it in mind, but i don't think it's british and it will probably be to big. but thank you anyway.

yesssss 100 posts!!!!!
rofl.gif

(Message edited by will_j on October 28, 2004)

you can get small varieties. The ones I use now have fairly big leaves. The leaves are big enough for my 3" terrestrial T. karelinii to hide under, they love it. And in my aquatic karelinii tank, the aquatic ones hang out on the roots all the time. The Detroit zoo uses varieties of pothos in practically every tank they can. It does well in low-light, low-temp situations, which makes it great for us :D

I agree, pothos works in virtually any setup. The best part is that it will grow from land into water (or vice versa) and doesn't need soil. It's not British, but it's grown everywhere as a houseplant.

In fact, most plants that you could find outdoors won't do well in a tank. Most plants need more light than a typical aquarium fixture gives. Mosses are anyone's guess: some do very well in terrariums, some don't.

Lysimachia nummularia is a member of the primrose family, and also has a golden variety which has a slightly smaller leaf. It is also known as moneywart. My pleuros had the pleasure of some in their temporary home at Morg`s earlier this year.

Mike, that looks great. Does it need any soil, or is it just growing on wet gravel? Any chance that you could ship some cuttings? (In other words, would you send some creeping jenny to some creepy Jenni?)

thanks guys, i think that there is some of that creeping jenny or a similar species near my ponds

Hey Mike,
do you have other pics of that setup?
It looks like your "land" portion is a shallow glass shelf right at the water level, with wet gravel? That seems to work well?

Thanks
Keegan

well the elodea died, as did the silver weed, i've now got some species of seilengella ( i think i spelt that wrong), a fern and a small euonymus, i want a water plant though, one that will tolerate low light levels, i was thinking of pothos, will they work?

i've also got java moss, i forgot to mention that in the first list

Seginella is a lovely plant but i never had a lot of luck with it. Euonymus does well and one of the best i've found is the goosefoot plant.(sorry,don't know the latin name)

well we'll see how it goes, i'm getting some hornwort, i've heard that that can grow in low light situations, but what about pothos?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back