Plants

23matt3

Reaction score
Country
United States
What would you guys recommend for plants for new fire belly newts in an aquarium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best are those that grow fast and tolerate low temperature and light. I have java fern, anubias, pistia, ceratophyllum, elodea and vallisneria. Sagittaria doesn't grow very well but is not dying either. Hydrocotyle is easy too and mosses such as java moss. And if you have a garden, take a look if there's lysimachia nummularia. It grows also in water, very simple and you could put loads of it in the water (if no pesticides used on that area)! Sorry in Latin, I don't know them in English...just lots, lots of plants to make it great home!

I can also recommend the species Auli has listed, a good amount of fast growing stuffI will remove lots waste from the water. I actually have very bright lights in my tanks, the newts don't mind at all, but I never worry too much about the plants I use and know nothing about planted tanks, I just buy stuff I like and see what happens. Sometimes, even 'tropical' species will acclimate to cold water and do quite well.
I've posted a link to one of my old threads from the archive, over a couple of pages it shows how I planted my aquarium for Japanese firebellies from a bare tank to what it looks like now. There's no need to read my ramblings, I think the pics tell the story. If I can keep a planted tank, anyone can. 8)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...tc/92023-new-home-my-cynops-pyrrhogaster.html

Have you had any luck buying live plants online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, i buy all my plants online from ebay. They seem much better quality than petstore stuff andare a lot cheaper.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back