Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Playing with my Axolotl

Reaction score
I’ve had my axolotl, Oaki, for a while now, and I would love to be able to interact with him more, however I’m not sure how. He bites me but gets scared if I’m the one that touches him first. Do you guys have any suggestions? I don’t want to hurt him, but he is very active and attentive to me and I want to play with him. Picture is unnecessary, but he’s just so cute!!! Let me know how you guys play with your axies!
52CD1706-EB82-45FB-8A6D-F77E80B28D50.png

Bubbs050

Reaction score
I’ve had my axolotl, Oaki, for a while now, and I would love to be able to interact with him more, however I’m not sure how. He bites me but gets scared if I’m the one that touches him first. Do you guys have any suggestions? I don’t want to hurt him, but he is very active and attentive to me and I want to play with him. Picture is unnecessary, but he’s just so cute!!! Let me know how you guys play with your axies! View attachment 83669
If you dont already, maybe handfeed him? Not too sure if this will work, but ive always hand fed mine and she is very comfortable with me. I always make sure to move very slow though.

Beautiful axolotl btw!

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Amphibians don't play, and they should not be handled. They simply aren't that sort of a pet. Provide it with proper food and housing, and it should have a good life.
If you decide to hand feed it, as suggested by Bubbs050, make certain that your hands are clean before putting them in the water.

Murk

Reaction score
While I agree with Herpin Man ("amphibians don't play"), I do think it's good for all captive creatures -amphibians included- to be stimulated or even challenged every now and then.
It's one of the reasons why life food is so good, and why axolotls with tank mates often seem more active and lively.
A healthy axolotl is a curious axolotl, and for them to stay curious they need something to be curious about.

This can be very simple: give them life food; something that moves in the aquarium (a tank mate, plants, a bubbler, whatever); re-arrange the decorations sometimes; have a substrate they can dig around in; etc.

I understand that's not the kind of "playing" you would do with, say, a dog or a hamster, but it can be fun for you and healthy for the axolotl nonetheless.
I really enjoy watching them explore the tank after I've rearranged, burrowing and checking out every nook and cranny. It can take them a full day of activity.
Similarly, alternating between feeding styles is fun as well. Sometimes I dangle earthworms at the water surface, requiring them to swim up to get it. Other times, I move the food past them so they can "ambush". Or hide the food somewhere, and watch them scour the tank looking for it.
Heck, some axolotls even seem to like it when you move your finger across the glass, just because they're curious.

The most important part is to not stress them out.
Having the axolotls work for their food is good for them, I believe. But having them be desperate, or constantly on edge is not.
Similarly, things moving around in (or outside) the tank keeps them alert, and that's good. But having them be spooked, or feel unsafe, or annoyed, or constantly disappointed, is not good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1