Please be careful with fake plants in your axolotl tank- my axolotl DIED because of it.

antisocialpythonz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pria, my axolotl had swallowed a piece of fake plant that I put for shade in the tank. I didn't know for weeks. I began noticing she wouldn't take food anymore. I got concerned and the same day I saw the vet, she started to prolapse her organs to push it out. The vet extracted most of it, tube fed her, gave her an enema to hopefully help her push out any leftovers and we thought we were out of the woods. Turns out there was, even more, she kept prolapsing, trying to push it out and her insides were coming out too. Again, we took out what we could find at the vet, stitched her up to prevent further prolapse, removed the stitches a few days later. More prolapse. She still wouldn't eat. She could barely swim and most of her insides were out. Pria was euthanized that following day.

The picture I included was after the second visit (not when she was dying).

I say all this to say PLEASE be careful of fake plants in your axolotl tank. My axolotl loved to eat and we fed her regularly but she still ate the plant and it cost her her life.

IMG-3736.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss this must be very painful for you to post. But thank you so much for the warning. Again I am so sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for the warning.

Sorry for your loss. Please know that you did your best, and it's not your fault. Can I ask for a photo or description of the artificial plant so that we can all avoid that type in particular?

That's a horribly painful way to learn a lesson for both of you. I hope you feel better soon.

god this is awful, i’m so sorry you had to go through that with her. i’m sure she was well loved and is enjoying swimming in the big pond in the sky. thank you for providing this information//advice to everyone here on the forums, she will not have died for nothing.

So sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for the warning. I have artificial silk plants in my tank, and both axolotls haven't tried to consume them, so I suspect perhaps silk plants might be the safest type of artificial plant.

I am sorry for your loss! Any chance you could post a pic of the plant? What a hard way to lose her. She was so beautiful and clearly so well cared for!

So sorry that you lost your sweet Pria. She was so precious and cute. I hope it was not too painful for her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back