Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help! Im not sure what to do, I’m new 😥

Sophiahouston

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me why my salamander my brother how he is and how to help him? I just got it a few days ago and I had saved it from drying in a mud puddle in my backyard. I had bought a tank with paper towels as a temporary substrate, and some rocks for him to hide behind. when I had gotten him his back legs weren’t functional, but I was hoping for that to fix itself or give him the care you need for that he seemed to be getting better (wasn’t 100% sure what that issue is though). He was becoming more active and walking around much more but still not eating. I came home from school today and saw him on his back in the corner of the tank behind the rocks I gave him to hide,I I put on gloves and I picked it up to inspect him, and he seem to have new wounds/injuries, they are white spots looking on him but definitely looks like cuts and wounds. I’m not sure how this happened he was seemingly fine a few days ago. Can someone please tell me how to treat it I’ve never owned a salamander before and have no idea what to do. please be specific. Thanks!! (Please anyone answer asap, I’m really worried he’ll die😞)

Sophiahouston

Reaction score
Wow it’s only been a few hours, but sad to say he just passed. I’m glad I was at least able to let him live a few more days then he would have in that puddle. He was doing well yesterday I’m not sure what went wrong, I’m very sad I hope he was able to live a good life. ❤️

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me why my salamander my brother how he is and how to help him? I just got it a few days ago and I had saved it from drying in a mud puddle in my backyard. I had bought a tank with paper towels as a temporary substrate, and some rocks for him to hide behind. when I had gotten him his back legs weren’t functional, but I was hoping for that to fix itself or give him the care you need for that he seemed to be getting better (wasn’t 100% sure what that issue is though). He was becoming more active and walking around much more but still not eating. I came home from school today and saw him on his back in the corner of the tank behind the rocks I gave him to hide,I I put on gloves and I picked it up to inspect him, and he seem to have new wounds/injuries, they are white spots looking on him but definitely looks like cuts and wounds. I’m not sure how this happened he was seemingly fine a few days ago. Can someone please tell me how to treat it I’ve never owned a salamander before and have no idea what to do. please be specific. Thanks!! (Please anyone answer asap, I’m really worried he’ll die😞)
please refrain from "rescuing" salamanders or any other wildlife you come across. terrestrial salamanders can walk on land, and it would have been fine if left to it's own devices.

Sophiahouston

Reaction score
please refrain from "rescuing" salamanders or any other wildlife you come across. terrestrial salamanders can walk on land, and it would have been fine if left to it's own devices.
Well, it had rained the day before and I assumed it went to this wet puddle but then it had began to dry and it started to have a thickness like a clay which the salamander was encased in.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Well, it had rained the day before and I assumed it went to this wet puddle but then it had began to dry and it started to have a thickness like a clay which the salamander was encased in.
It's still a wild animal. Actually, some places might have laws against holding wild animals so I would look up local wildlife laws before doing this again as well. It's difficult, but suffering occurs everywhere, as well as in nature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1