Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help our Luna

Luna Momma

Reaction score
EF914872-3643-4350-95F8-3CF54A0728FA.jpeg

Our about 5 inch Luna was doing much better in our home. We got her from a friend who once she had a litter got picked on my the other much larger Axolotl - so we agreed to take her in .After a week I had cleaned the water tested it & it was all good then She refused to eat. I figured Because last Friday she enjoyed the defrosted brine shrimp so much , she didn’t want the bloodworms. Last night she was happy as can be but today has stayed pretty much in the position. After researching , I now Have her in a container in hopes she’ll come back to her happy self. How do I know If it’s an air bubble, constipation or something much more serious? My children are just as worried. Please any suggestions is very much appreciated. Hoping she pulls through & she continues to thrive .

Attachments

• IMG_0050.MOV
    12.8 MB · Views: 0

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
View attachment 90820
Our about 5 inch Luna was doing much better in our home. We got her from a friend who once she had a litter got picked on my the other much larger Axolotl - so we agreed to take her in .After a week I had cleaned the water tested it & it was all good then She refused to eat. I figured Because last Friday she enjoyed the defrosted brine shrimp so much , she didn’t want the bloodworms. Last night she was happy as can be but today has stayed pretty much in the position. After researching , I now Have her in a container in hopes she’ll come back to her happy self. How do I know If it’s an air bubble, constipation or something much more serious? My children are just as worried. Please any suggestions is very much appreciated. Hoping she pulls through & she continues to thrive .
so, a few things
- what are your parameters exactly? include water temp please
- what is luna’s staple diet? bloodworms and defrosted brine shrimp aren’t enough for a growing juvenile
- how long has she been floating?
- is her back end floating? or just all of her?
- how old is she, approximately? i’m assuming about 5-6 months

also
- it’s good that you’ve tubbed her, but make sure you use cold, dechlorinated water and change it 100% every 24 hours
- this isn’t your fault. unless you’ve intentionally hurt the animal or neglected it, an animal getting sick is just something that happens. don’t blame yourself.

and some observations
- luna has a poor body condition in general, her gills look mangled and she is quite thin
- the bright purple lights are potentially harming her eyes, please keep them off as often as you can (i.e. only turn them on for pictures or to feed)
- i’m wondering how large the tank is? it looks big enough but i’m not entirely sure it is. how many gallons?
- i highly recommend a lid, immediately. axolotls are known jumpers and can kill themselves by doing so- it’s best to prevent such an occurrence with a screen lid

and finally, i hope your little luna feels better soon. if she’s floating, it may be a health problem such as constipation, or something as simple as she just likes floating. one of my old axies loved to float, but was perfectly healthy in every sense of the word- so random floating isn’t unheard of.
good luck!
-ren

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
oh my,
ive just noticed you’re from california- are you currently residing there? if so, owning an axolotl is illegal and a crime. if you live in the state of california, immediately put your animal up for adoption (out of state), as you cannot legally care for it

Luna Momma

Reaction score
so, a few things
- what are your parameters exactly? include water temp please
- what is luna’s staple diet? bloodworms and defrosted brine shrimp aren’t enough for a growing juvenile
- how long has she been floating?
- is her back end floating? or just all of her?
- how old is she, approximately? i’m assuming about 5-6 months

also
- it’s good that you’ve tubbed her, but make sure you use cold, dechlorinated water and change it 100% every 24 hours
- this isn’t your fault. unless you’ve intentionally hurt the animal or neglected it, an animal getting sick is just something that happens. don’t blame yourself.

and some observations
- luna has a poor body condition in general, her gills look mangled and she is quite thin
- the bright purple lights are potentially harming her eyes, please keep them off as often as you can (i.e. only turn them on for pictures or to feed)
- i’m wondering how large the tank is? it looks big enough but i’m not entirely sure it is. how many gallons?
- i highly recommend a lid, immediately. axolotls are known jumpers and can kill themselves by doing so- it’s best to prevent such an occurrence with a screen lid

and finally, i hope your little luna feels better soon. if she’s floating, it may be a health problem such as constipation, or something as simple as she just likes floating. one of my old axies loved to float, but was perfectly healthy in every sense of the word- so random floating isn’t unheard of.
good luck!
-ren
Thank you SO much Ren,
Luna is about 2 1/5 years … just measuring her she’s 7 inches . She is in poor health as the older much bigger ones (where she came from) were picking on her. Her gills are just starting to come back … The tank is a 5 gallon. I will Keep the lights off & go get a screen. I have been feeding every two days … using a turkey baster. She ate quiet well . Mostly blood worms & twice last week brine shrimp ( which seemed her ultimate favorite lol) We have had her 3 weeks tomorrow .
Her floating only just had started .. she was more resting at the top letting the water hit her head.
Where she came from they ate cut up earth worms but again the olders would bully her this she’s super skinny . Could I feed Her more to fatten her up? If so what kind of diet do you think?
The water temp is 68°
Again thank you for your response . I work Nights & as I left I spoke to her & told her not to die on me ;) not sure if it’s a thing but I swear She responded to my voice …after just in the tub a couple hours .

Luna Momma

Reaction score
oh my,
ive just noticed you’re from california- are you currently residing there? if so, owning an axolotl is illegal and a crime. if you live in the state of california, immediately put your animal up for adoption (out of state), as you cannot legally care for it
Oh, my apologies I’m from San Francisco… currently in the PNW the last 10 years :) I wasn’t aware they were illegal in Cali.

Last edited:

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Thank you SO much Ren,
Luna is about 2 1/5 years … just measuring her she’s 7 inches . She is in poor health as the older much bigger ones (where she came from) were picking on her. Her gills are just starting to come back … The tank is a 5 gallon. I will Keep the lights off & go get a screen. I have been feeding every two days … using a turkey baster. She ate quiet well . Mostly blood worms & twice last week brine shrimp ( which seemed her ultimate favorite lol) We have had her 3 weeks tomorrow .
Her floating only just had started .. she was more resting at the top letting the water hit her head.
Where she came from they ate cut up earth worms but again the olders would bully her this she’s super skinny . Could I feed Her more to fatten her up? If so what kind of diet do you think?
The water temp is 68°
Again thank you for your response . I work Nights & as I left I spoke to her & told her not to die on me ;) not sure if it’s a thing but I swear She responded to my voice …after just in the tub a couple hours .
so definitely some problems here
- a five gallon is way too small for an axolotl of any size- especially a 2 1/5 year old animal, this along with a rather terrible diet is why she is so small.
- the average female axolotl is 10-11 inches long and quite rotund. she very underweight and her gills are in poor shape.
- is your water conditioned? if so, with what
- what are your parameters? and what are you using to test the water?
- diet needs to be changed immediately- full eathworms purchased from a reputable place. feed once a day, along with bloodworms as treats. anything to get her to fatten up
- i think her floating is the least of your problems, i’d worry about her other health issues first
- my axolotls also respond to stimulus, such as noise or movement

honestly, i think rehoming might be the best option for this animal

Luna Momma

Reaction score
Oh, my apologies I’m from San Francisco… currently in the PNW the last 10 years :)
so definitely some problems here
- a five gallon is way too small for an axolotl of any size- especially a 2 1/5 year old animal, this along with a rather terrible diet is why she is so small.
- the average female axolotl is 10-11 inches long and quite rotund. she very underweight and her gills are in poor shape.
- is your water conditioned? if so, with what
- what are your parameters? and what are you using to test the water?
- diet needs to be changed immediately- full eathworms purchased from a reputable place. feed once a day, along with bloodworms as treats. anything to get her to fatten up
- i think her floating is the least of your problems, i’d worry about her other health issues first
- my axolotls also respond to stimulus, such as noise or movement

honestly, i think rehoming might be the best option for this animal
We took her in as a friend that had her , she was getting bullied. They nipped at her & apparently was hard to feed as the others would try & steal her worms. So I got Her in this condition, feeling bad for her. My soul intention was/is to bring her back to health & give her undivided attention & Love.
How big of a Tank does she need? I was Told by the exotic pet store the 5 gallon would be fine if kept by herself. Looking up the tank apparently it is an 8 gallon🧐Do you feel this tank isn’t ideal?pic below

Attachments

• 6ED68364-412E-4264-B80F-559893A0A03E.jpeg
    6ED68364-412E-4264-B80F-559893A0A03E.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 83

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
We took her in as a friend that had her , she was getting bullied. They nipped at her & apparently was hard to feed as the others would try & steal her worms. So I got Her in this condition, feeling bad for her. My soul intention was/is to bring her back to health & give her undivided attention & Love.
How big of a Tank does she need? I was Told by the exotic pet store the 5 gallon would be fine if kept by herself. Looking up the tank apparently it is an 8 gallon🧐Do you feel this tank isn’t ideal?pic below
the friend is definitely at fault here- keeping an animal in such a condition without treatment for that long is not acceptable. i understand that you’ve just received the animal, so it’s not on you, but she definitely needs some serious work.
- a five gallon is far too small, a 20 gallon long is the minimum tank size for an axolotl
- the exotic pet store has severely misinformed you

buy a tank at petsmart/co rather than on the internet, they’re much cheaper and won’t shatter during shipping (because you’ll be transporting it)
she needs earthworms immediately, and a proper tank. these are the two biggest issues

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
more pictures of her body condition would be much appreciated so i can rule out things like parasites and fungus

Luna Momma

Reaction score
the friend is definitely at fault here- keeping an animal in such a condition without treatment for that long is not acceptable. i understand that you’ve just received the animal, so it’s not on you, but she definitely needs some serious work.
- a five gallon is far too small, a 20 gallon long is the minimum tank size for an axolotl
- the exotic pet store has severely misinformed you

buy a tank at petsmart/co rather than on the internet, they’re much cheaper and won’t shatter during shipping (because you’ll be transporting it)
she needs earthworms immediately, and a proper tank. these are the two biggest issues
Thank you for your support, I panicked last night. I’ll fix those two issues immediately & go to Seattle to the Axolotl specialty store this weekend to pick their brain🙏

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Thank you for your support, I panicked last night. I’ll fix those two issues immediately & go to Seattle to the Axolotl specialty store this weekend to pick their brain🙏
don’t worry about it- i’m always here to help. i like to make my presence on this earth as positive and helpful as possible, i hope you found that to be true in this thread :)

so, immediate shopping list
- 20 gallon long tank + screen lid
- earthworms (preferably from petco/smart- this is where i get mine)
- API water testing kit (sorry i forgot to mention this earlier, but it’s definitely required to keep a healthy and happy axolotl)

future shopping list (things needed for future care and treatment)
- sponge filter + pump (feel free to ask questions on this)
- bloodworm cubes (as treats only, not a staple)
- carnivore pellets (will help her gain weight along with earthworms)
- substrate (optional, but recommended so they can get some traction when walking. i’d use fine sand or >1mm pebbles, see my thread “a bit of an experiment” about gastrolith characteristics in axolotls)
- bucket
- siphon
- live plants (for aesthetic appeal and help with cycling + oxygenation - feel free to ask which plants i recommend)
- hides (this can be a number of different things, ask before using anything you’re not sure about though)

im sure i’m forgetting things, but this is all i can think of currently.
is your tank cycled? i assume not - i can send you my care guide with general information on cycling (which is essential for keeping any aquatic animal, especially axolotls)

thanks for reaching out!
— ren

Luna Momma

Reaction score
don’t worry about it- i’m always here to help. i like to make my presence on this earth as positive and helpful as possible, i hope you found that to be true in this thread :)

so, immediate shopping list
- 20 gallon long tank + screen lid
- earthworms (preferably from petco/smart- this is where i get mine)
- API water testing kit (sorry i forgot to mention this earlier, but it’s definitely required to keep a healthy and happy axolotl)

future shopping list (things needed for future care and treatment)
- sponge filter + pump (feel free to ask questions on this)
- bloodworm cubes (as treats only, not a staple)
- carnivore pellets (will help her gain weight along with earthworms)
- substrate (optional, but recommended so they can get some traction when walking. i’d use fine sand or >1mm pebbles, see my thread “a bit of an experiment” about gastrolith characteristics in axolotls)
- bucket
- siphon
- live plants (for aesthetic appeal and help with cycling + oxygenation - feel free to ask which plants i recommend)
- hides (this can be a number of different things, ask before using anything you’re not sure about though)

im sure i’m forgetting things, but this is all i can think of currently.
is your tank cycled? i assume not - i can send you my care guide with general information on cycling (which is essential for keeping any aquatic animal, especially axolotls)

thanks for reaching out!
— ren
I’m greatful for your info & help & would appreciate any info you can give me. 🙏✨
I think I can PM you my email …

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I’m greatful for your info & help & would appreciate any info you can give me. 🙏✨
I think I can PM you my email …
im a minor, and would prefer to refrain from email communication- however, PM‘s through caudata would work well for me as it is moderated :)
hope you understand, i’m just cautious

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1