Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help. Sick Albino African Clawed Frog. Back legs seem paralyzed

Froggie_Kyle

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have a sick Albino African Clawed Frog, and I am at my wit's end as to what is going on.

The African Clawed Frog is around 2 years old. It spent the majority of its life in a small 5-gallon tank. She was getting bigger, so I purchased a nice big 15-gallon tank for her. I moved her into the new tank and everything was fine until last Tuesday (August 24, 2021). I noticed that she was on her back at the bottom of the Aquarium. I immediately thought that she was dead. But when I reached in to grab her, she started moving.

She has the following symptoms:
- Back legs seem paralyzed. So she uses her front arms to swim a little and grab onto things to keep floating.
- She can float in the water, but she cannot get back to the surface after sinking too far.
- Not eating. I don't think that she has eaten since August 23rd.
- She was shedding a lot of skin in the week.
- She is very lethargic.
- She seems to do an odd contorting of her body that I can only describe as a crunch.

I initially went to the pet store where we got the Frog. They indicated that she was suffering from Ammonia poisoning and that I should do partial water changes for a few days. This did not seem to have an effect on her condition. Then I visited a Fish store in town and the Livestock manager tested the water in the aquarium and found that all of the levels are fine. He then suggested that the temperature is too low and she is going into the early stages of hibernation. I got a thermometer and found that the water was about 74 degrees F. He suggested that I get a heater and bring the water to 78 degrees F. I did this yesterday and while she seemed to have more energy once the temperature was higher, I still found her on her back this morning.

My next thought is Chytrid Fungus or another Fungus issue. However, I honestly don't know.

Thanks in advance

Kyle

Froggie_Kyle

Reaction score
Here are a few images that I took during the week.

Attachments

• IMG_20210825_115125.jpg
    IMG_20210825_115125.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,533
  • IMG_20210825_115138.jpg
    IMG_20210825_115138.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_20210825_115156.jpg
    IMG_20210825_115156.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7,565
  • IMG_20210825_115316.jpg
    IMG_20210825_115316.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 765
  • IMG_20210825_115325.jpg
    IMG_20210825_115325.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 810
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1