Illness/Sickness: Please help - white poop, tummy troubles?

Cryowuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Daniel
So yesterday my youngest axolotl (a little over a year old) vomited all of his dinner from the night before, and his cloaca was swollen. He also wasn't wanting food. I put him in the fridge but have since removed him, the swelling is gone and I haven't tried to feed him yet. But he's had this stringy white... stuff? Coming out of him all day. It looks like a spermatophore in consistency but not in shape. It's stringy and jelly, clear with opaque white pieces in it. His tank mates are perfectly healthy. On the outside, he appears in great health besides his lacking appetite (before the fridge, he would take food but spit it right out), no discoloration, no lesions, no fungus, and no more swelling. Any help is appreciated! I do have pictures, but they're not the greatest.

His diet is strictly pellets, same as his very healthy tank mates/parents, so I'm very doubtful of parasites or bacteria. His water parameters have been perfectly fine (0 ammo, 0 nitrite, ~20 nitrate), maybe a bit on the chilly side. There are no live plants in his tank and besides the BBS I raised him on, he has never eaten live food.

Pictured is last night's swelling versus what he looks like today, as well as the jelly-like stuff he's excreting.

I'm very worried about him. :( There are plenty of herp vets in my area, but I want to avoid going if at all possible.

UPDATE: The swelling is back, I just offered him some food. He didn't take it and started retching. :'(

Attachments

• 20190120_191838.jpg
    20190120_191838.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 20190120_235611.jpg
    20190120_235611.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 135
  • 20190121_162653.jpg
    20190121_162653.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
After you took him out of the fridge when the swelling went down did he poop at all? Is he floating any more than normal? I saw another post the other day with a similar excretion, I'll try and find it for you.
Do you have any female axolotls in the tank?

After you took him out of the fridge when the swelling went down did he poop at all? Is he floating any more than normal? I saw another post the other day with a similar excretion, I'll try and find it for you.
Do you have any female axolotls in the tank?

Hi! He did not poop after that, besides the white gunk, but my guess is that's because he had nothing in his tummy. The swelling came back soon after I updated here the other day, but it's been completely down through yesterday and today. He is even taking some food again, and he kept yesterday's meal down. :)

He hasn't been floating at all, although he did have some trouble keeping his back legs down at some points. That's been gone since the swelling went down.

I did have a female in with him actually, hence why I thought he may have just been a bit excited, but while what came out of him looked like spermatophores in consistency, the shape was all wrong. So I ruled that out.. Although since being in the tank by himself, he has improved greatly, so anything could be possible really!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back