PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl got injured while I was cleaning his tank and I dont know that to do. Its the first axie I ve ever had. My cat pulled him out of the container he was in. What do I do... his tail is ripped, he is swimming but I feel like I should put antibiotic in the water.I feel so terrible

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl got injured while I was cleaning his tank and I dont know that to do. Its the first axie I ve ever had. My cat pulled him out of the container he was in. What do I do... his tail is ripped, he is swimming but I feel like I should put antibiotic in the water.I feel so terrible
pictures of the injury would be very helpful to determine the severity - don’t feel bad, everyone makes mistakes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl got injured while I was cleaning his tank and I dont know that to do. Its the first axie I ve ever had. My cat pulled him out of the container he was in. What do I do... his tail is ripped, he is swimming but I feel like I should put antibiotic in the water.I feel so terrible he is in a new container with clean water and a bubbler

pictures of the injury would be very helpful to determine the severity - don’t feel bad, everyone makes mistakes.

Attachments

• 16311398158845501202211600051036.jpg
    16311398158845501202211600051036.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
alright, so this is a pretty mild injury, not comparable to what i was envisioning (tail ripped open, bones broken, possible hemorrhaging)
im not sure what would effectively kill the bacteria from the cats claws (and not kill the axolotl) but i do suggest tea baths for soothing the skin
keep us updated,
— ren

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are also more that I couldn't get pictures of but there is a big gash near his back leg
alright, so this is a pretty mild injury, not comparable to what i was envisioning (tail ripped open, bones broken, possible hemorrhaging)
im not sure what would effectively kill the bacteria from the cats claws (and not kill the axolotl) but i do suggest tea baths for soothing the skin
keep us updated,
— ren
Thank you so much i couldn't get I picture of it but there is a pretty severe gouge on his side right after his back leg and that's what I'm most worried about. I also have Indian almond leaves would those work

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are also more that I couldn't get pictures of but there is a big gash near his back leg

Thank you so much i couldn't get I picture of it but there is a pretty severe gouge on his side right after his back leg and that's what I'm most worried about. I also have Indian almond leaves would those work
yes, the tannins will help to kill anything harmful
could you try getting a good picture of that lesion? if there are any organs exposed, cut, bleeding, or hanging out, it’s going to be a rough 24 hours or so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes, the tannins will help to kill anything harmful
could you try getting a good picture of that lesion? if there are any organs exposed, cut, bleeding, or hanging out, it’s going to be a rough 24 hours or so.

Attachments

• 27570746735671.jpeg
    27570746735671.jpeg
    988.3 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you think I should put him in the fridge or just leave him in a cool dark room also should I feed him at all?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you think I should put him in the fridge or just leave him in a cool dark room also should I feed him at all?
i wouldn’t suggest fridging just yet, if feed him a bit more than usual to help him heal. the cool, dark room idea will help

chicco

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why are we here talking about tea? Take it to your local veterinary urgent care NOW that deals with exotics. They will unlikely be ambibian experts.. but the issue now is bacterial and fungal infections.. and they can help with both.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why are we here talking about tea? Take it to your local veterinary urgent care NOW that deals with exotics. They will unlikely be ambibian experts.. but the issue now is bacterial and fungal infections.. and they can help with both.
The earliest vet we could get to is at 7 tommorow but we consulted with another exotic animal's vet that said we should be fine till tommorow. I was wondering though if I could put him in the fridge. I feel like the water temp would be better, we live in florida so it's a bit difficult to keep it down in the container he is in right now .

chicco

Reaction score
Country
United States
The earliest vet we could get to is at 7 tommorow but we consulted with another exotic animal's vet that said we should be fine till tommorow. I was wondering though if I could put him in the fridge. I feel like the water temp would be better, we live in florida so it's a bit difficult to keep it down in the container he is in right now .
I would fridge, nothing bad has ever happened to any of my ambystoma when fridged...They just eat less..which is fine because they will produce less waste. With axolotls, the cooler the better. Ive read people say things like "don't drop temps below 50F" which is nonsense. I kept mine outside in Denver through fall, winter, and spring.. they spent months with water temps well in the low 40s high 30s. if it got close to freezing I would add a small heater. They are honestly the most bullet proof animals I care for. I believe that most of the issues keepers have with axolotls is from keeping them too warm...in my opinion, 68-70 is warm.
Hope the visit goes well and keep us posted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
5 days later he is doing well. We got some antibiotics from the vet and he started using the leg we thought was broken again. He hasent been eating as much as I want but I ordered some black worms so hopefully he will want to eat those

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
Nice to see somebody offering useful advice. Tea baths are not the cure all they are touted as.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • lvlyvoa:
    hey thank you all so much for your help!! i shouldn't have been so careless, but I love my axie very much and her behaviour has improved as I have started a tank cycle and gotten some good food for her
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    @lvlyvoa, good to hear, np. They love nightcrawlers and worms if you have access to them, they're the healthiest thing they can eat since they're a complete prey
    +1
    Unlike
  • BrodieBAxolotls:
    hey, does anyone have any brine shrimp eggs??
    +1
    Unlike
  • liz.:
    i do!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
    Wyn1993: I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give... +1