Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please please help, hardcore red leg

D

dane

I recently got a whites treefrog from my sisters boyfriend, he had it for about 7 years then he moved out of his parents house and I adopted it. I cleaned its cage and fattened him up, but he has red leg and I dont know how to cure it, I also think he has mites, but all the mite killer I find if for reptiles only,

any help is greatly appreciated

C

charles

I have a whites tree frog to but he has never had red leg's maybe a pic. would help.

C

charles

About the mites, there is this strip thing thats hangs in your tank on kingsnake.com you could look into, it's in the classifieds go to Chages/Heat/Light/supplies and it's in there.

V

virginie

errr.gif

1- Isolate it in a quarantine's tank
2- Call the vet quickly,red leg is a very serious disease, only antibiotics works on it !
And give us news !!

E

edward

Do not treat it for mites with any over the counter product as they are all extremely toxic to amphibians.

Are you referring to a pink blush on the legs and underside of the frog? Is it bloated, or refusing food?

Ed

D

dane

his belly, and under side of legs are pink, to my understanding they are suposed to be white, he eats really good and dosnt refuse food

E

edward

He doesn't have "red leg".
What people often call red leg isn't even a disease but something that has caused the blood to flow to the capillaries in/on the legs (in other words a symptom) causing a pinkish or reddish tint to show. This often causes a person who hasn't seen real cases of "red leg" to misdiagnose the disease potentially killing the frog through stress and treatments. (In real "red leg" the capillaries have ruptured leading to large amounts of blood in the tissues which causes the red/brown coloration, very different than what you are seeing).
In any case, "red leg" is a potential symptom and really should not be automatically considered a disease as depending on the species of frog/toad in question, redding of the ventral surfaces can be due to a irritant, stress (minor and major), thermal issues, septicemia, fungal infections, viral infections, and protozoal infections.
In fact what is often considered "red leg", a septicemia potentially due to multiple infectious agents but most commonly Aeromonas hydrophilia often does not have this symptom....
I would suggest asking a vet to do a skin scraping to see if there is something causing the reddening of the skin (such as chytrid).

Some comments,

Ed

D

dane

thanks ed, oh yeah he also crooks alot, (especialy when I play my guitar...) so i think that is a sign if himn being relatively healthy

(Message edited by dane_Zu on August 28, 2006)

(Message edited by dane_Zu on August 28, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1