Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Post Pictures Of Your Gravid Newts!

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

If you have a picture of your gravid female, want to post it? I want to know what it looks like so that I can know when/if my newts/sals get gravid. I don't care when they were taken, past or present, doesn't matter.

Thanks! -Seth

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the best pic I have at the moment, she's even fatter now but she's hiding in the weeds, i'll get a better one when I next see her :)

Attachments

• 34368d1387915279-pyrrho-pride-parade-sam_1189.jpg
    34368d1387915279-pyrrho-pride-parade-sam_1189.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 389

sde

Reaction score
Thanks! Looks just like a fat newt, I hope there is some other way to tell, shape maybe. If you can get another picture some time that would be great! But it is a great start to my venture, I am going to study that one for a while..................

sde

Reaction score
Thanks! I am starting to see a trend i think.....extremely large, but not the same as fat, a bit of a different shape. And wide all the way up, not just in the lower region. Keep the pictures coming!

sde

Reaction score
Very interesting. The first female is a different shape than the second two. So, I guess it depends on the species I bit. But the one on the bottom in the second pic is very interesting. It is wide all the way up, no pear shape, just fat looking all the way up. Very interesting, interesting indeed....................

Yahilles

Reaction score
Pear shape is more visible when a gravid female is not right after feeding. I don't see anything special about it, they're normal-looking well-fed gravid newt females.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a better example than my picture, you can see that the rest of her body is a normal healthy size, it's just the abdominal area that's swollen with eggs. A newt that's just overweight and not gravid would be fat all over!

sde

Reaction score
Pear shape is more visible when a gravid female is not right after feeding. I don't see anything special about it, they're normal-looking well-fed gravid newt females.

I was just trying to be silly, I don't actually see a trend really......except being huge! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!