Plethodon yonahlossee questions?

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
Hello Folks,
May i ask if anyone keeps and breeds Plethodon yonahlossee?
i read they are found near the blue ridge mountains area, therefore i suppose they need cooler temps lower than 20C?
https://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_...odon&where-species=yonahlossee&account=lannoo

i also cannot seem to find them available online anywhere... are they a rare species?
Is there anyway i can obtain them?

Thanks and cheers!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never seen them offered for sale online. They are one of those species you have to go collect yourself.

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
Hi Otterwoman,
Thanks for kind advice.
Too bad these are not available.... they are such beautiful species from the Plethodon complex
have you seen Plethodon serratus available? the southern redbacks are also very beautiful.
Thanks again

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Plethodons are not commonly for sale. You could try to make friends with a herper in that area and strike some kind of deal...but building friendships here takes time and effort, to learn to trust a stranger from the internet.

Not that it's impossible. I went on vacation with two women from the forum I'd never met before our vacation.
We had such a good time we did it again.

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
Hi Otterwoman,
thanks for advice,
wow sounds like you have great adventures herping.
do we need to apply a proper license to collect herps from the wild in exmaple: North carolina (Plethodon yonahlossee)?
Thanks and cheers!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure, laws vary from state to state. Check your state laws. I think under fishing laws?

kamil

Reaction score
Country
Germany
They were for sale in Europe recently, even Plethodon longicrus (‚yonahlossee Bat Cave‘) was offered there. I guess in the US they are not exotic enough?

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
They were offered here too. The Bat Cave locality is illegal to collect/possess and that entire batch of salamanders is probably illegal as well as the numbers vastly exceeded NC's laws on amphibian collection.

merman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to pipe in, but I have done some research on this subject and do not profess to be an expert on anything.

Western NC has a large amount of salamander species, many of which are federally or state protected. Those that are not, out-of-staters may collect up to 24 specimens without permit. Actually collecting them is another issue: state and federal parks in the blue-ridge area are off limits leaving privately held land as your only option for search. (Good luck finding unclaimed land anywhere in this day and age.) I imagine trespassing may be handled with the same casual latitude in favor of the land owners if you understand my meaning. Great advice about striking up a friendship (think NC herp societies and the like). I am not sure about Tennessee, but suspect their laws may not be so generous.

I have been considering a NA sallie project as an alternative to the current decline in the availability of Asian species.

I cannot speak for the presence of federally protected US species available in the European pet trade and am disturbed by it like I am the with the current rise in our market of rare Australian and Malagasy species. Sorry for the rant.

merman

Reaction score
Country
United States
May I also point out, that current NC laws state, of the 24 specimens you plan to transport, only 4 may be of the same species. Just sayin'!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
    Dougie: Where can I find a yellow western tiger +1