Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pond Net for use in the field?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a long (or longish) handled pond net for use in the field. The only ones I can find locally are meant for landing fish, and obviously the mesh is far too large when dealing with salamanders. Then again, a butterfly net would be too fine. I'd appreciate any recommendations people could offer. Thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I modified an aquarium net by getting a piece of PVC pipe and attaching to the handle.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Are these things able to take some abuse?

carpy

Reaction score
kaysie has a fair bit of herping experience, so i guess hers have taken some abuse!

i know the fishing net that i use has been used extensively both in the uk, germany, corfu, and soon to be in Costa Rica, so that is a sound and strong option.

Alex

Abrahm

Reaction score
I haven't actually used any of these but have you thought of trying a net from one of the biological supply companies? Ward's Biological Supply has an impressive list and for quite a few of these I'm sure you could easily add a longer handle. Maybe this would be more what you are looking for?

caudataman

Reaction score
John,

I got the "D framed" aquatic net from Ward's and it is a very high quality piece!

Brian

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't the mesh size too small? I mean, aren't you pulling up hunks of mud?

caudataman

Reaction score
yep, you do get mud with it, but it's strong enough to handle it and that way youcan be sure you catch what you're after...

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all. You've given me plenty to think about.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian, I took your advice and purchased that net. It's on its way. I've a "big trip" planned this weekend and I want it ready for that.

caudataman

Reaction score
good luck John. Let me know what you think. That long handle should keep biting things away. Glad you're getting out to play! Remember... All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no...

caudataman

Reaction score
That's hilarious John! I'd seen a link to it but never clicked on it. Funny how it's all in the presentation!

Don's net does look pretty interesting...though I'm a bit skeptical how well a land bug net would work in a swamp, but if Don says it's good, I won't argue and the price sure is right!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The mesh is nearly 0.5 cm in diameter. That's too big for most of our purposes, Don (catching small larvae and eggs, catching aquatic insects).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!