Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

pond tank

amkid247

Reaction score
This is a ten gallon tank that was meant to mimic the conditions of a pond for the most realistic metamorphosis i could produce for some wood frog tadpoles. it was completely natural besides some feedings by me, and an air stone. the substrate was clay from the bottom of a lake, and the water was actually from the pond the tadpoles were from so it contained all the pond buggies in it. the plants were all native aquatic vegetation from the new york area and came from either the pond or the lake. i raised and released most of the tadpoles but unfortunately had some losses. i also had some hitch hikers! two spotted salamander larvae! i released one and stopped seeing the second around so assumed he was dead. when i emptied the tank in the fall i was surprised to find him living perfectly find aquatically already morphed. now he lives in my basement happy and healthy in his own 15g long tank! Click the picture below to start the slide show of my pond tank!
[URL=http://w30.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/amkid247/85224b7f.pbw]
[/URL]

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I found it very fascinating! It was like looking into a slice of a pond and watching everything grow and mature was fun. I had no idea that the salamander was going to turn out so beautifully...so strikingly colored in the end! It was funny seeing the frog with just a little tail left too. :)

I try to landscape my set up to look as natural as possible, but you have topped me.:D

Thank you for sharing that with us!

tejc86

Reaction score
I would really like to see the slideshow but I can`t. It doesn`t open at all. Where could I see it

Aimee

Reaction score
I also cannot view the slideshow. Is there a program I need to download first?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what happens when people insist on loading photos from outside of caudata.org :(.

amkid247

Reaction score
yeah sorry i dont know why the slideshow stopped working it did in the beginning. anyway if you follow the link pesco put up it bring you to the album with all the pictures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    yeah, im heading over tomorrow morning to move him to this house and feed him. Thanks for the help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    So my axolotl tank cycle just crashed and while i was in the middle of a water change my bucket overflowed and spilled water all of the ground in my brand new home. This is going super well 👍
    +2
    Unlike
  • the:
    ooff
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    good luck recycling the tank!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    do the classifieds still exist?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    nevermind! off my game tonight
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    Im so frustrated right now. My axolotl WONT eat and my tank still isnt looking too good. Some extra stress i needed.
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Sorry to hear that Shane. Did you post about it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    No, I havent. Im not really sure why he wont eat. Hes in a 1 gallon tub and still a juvenile. When i offer food he swims away from it. Does he need some extra time? or is this something I should be worried about.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Hello everyone! I’m new in this world and i need some advices please! I have 2 axolotl babies and currently the water from the tank is from bottled water ( all parameters are good) but i want to change 50% of the water with city tap water. My question is how to change it? Do i need to get axis out, do the change, add the prime, wait (how much?) until its dechlorinated or i can add the tap water directly into the tank with axis in it, and add the prime conditioner? Thank you!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    1. You dont need to take them out of the tank to change the water as long as you pour it in slow as to not rattle them around too much
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    2. add the prime to your tap water, for most conditioners the consensus is 5 minutes of waiting time
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    3.After 5 minutes it should be safe to add
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Thank you so much !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    I private messaged you a bit clearer instructions just in case
    +2
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    Where can I get blackworms?
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Ebay or Eastern Aquatics
    +1
    Unlike
  • noahc808:
    Does anyone know someone who can ship axolotls to hawaii? I recently did a water change and my axolotl died and there are no axos for sale right now.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sylvia88:
    Hello I'm wondering if fridging axolotl is necessary when giving it a salt bath? My fridge is unpredictable it just changes from freezing temperature to melting by itself. And driving me crazy. So I would not be keen to put my axie in these because of the sudden temperature changes it may experience. Can I leave him in a clean dechlorinated water tub in some of the room? Would I then need to refrigerate the salt water ? Or would I just keep it in a same room temperature?! I have everything ready for him to get a salt bath but just wanted to check about this fridging before I do ( waited for approval to join the forum:)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sylvia88:
    FYI I noticed a white fluffy strings on his gills yesterday. And looking through the forum and some pictures it looks like fungus .
    +1
    Unlike
    Sylvia88: FYI I noticed a white fluffy strings on his gills yesterday. And looking through the forum and... +1