Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

pond tank

amkid247

Reaction score
This is a ten gallon tank that was meant to mimic the conditions of a pond for the most realistic metamorphosis i could produce for some wood frog tadpoles. it was completely natural besides some feedings by me, and an air stone. the substrate was clay from the bottom of a lake, and the water was actually from the pond the tadpoles were from so it contained all the pond buggies in it. the plants were all native aquatic vegetation from the new york area and came from either the pond or the lake. i raised and released most of the tadpoles but unfortunately had some losses. i also had some hitch hikers! two spotted salamander larvae! i released one and stopped seeing the second around so assumed he was dead. when i emptied the tank in the fall i was surprised to find him living perfectly find aquatically already morphed. now he lives in my basement happy and healthy in his own 15g long tank! Click the picture below to start the slide show of my pond tank!
[URL=http://w30.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/amkid247/85224b7f.pbw]
[/URL]

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I found it very fascinating! It was like looking into a slice of a pond and watching everything grow and mature was fun. I had no idea that the salamander was going to turn out so beautifully...so strikingly colored in the end! It was funny seeing the frog with just a little tail left too. :)

I try to landscape my set up to look as natural as possible, but you have topped me.:D

Thank you for sharing that with us!

tejc86

Reaction score
I would really like to see the slideshow but I can`t. It doesn`t open at all. Where could I see it

Aimee

Reaction score
I also cannot view the slideshow. Is there a program I need to download first?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what happens when people insist on loading photos from outside of caudata.org :(.

amkid247

Reaction score
yeah sorry i dont know why the slideshow stopped working it did in the beginning. anyway if you follow the link pesco put up it bring you to the album with all the pictures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1