Poorly axolotyl

• Thread starter Deleted member 46454
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46454

Hi, my axolotl, Guacamole, is a great favourite in my biology lab at school and comes home with me in holidays. We have done this for about 8years without any problems. She stopped accepting food about 5 weeks ago and I fridged her over the first uk heatwave as I couldn’t keep water cool enough. I also thought fridging might boost her appetite. She has been out of the fridge for a week and still not eating, have gone back to trying pellets but still not. Today I noticed her back leg looks very swollen, see photos ( she is leucistic with a couple of dark freckles) . Please advise, is she old and on the way out? ☹️
E2EE2847-73F2-4C64-8B75-BA7D77F5BE05.jpeg
E86C7D4E-7BF8-4E20-AF5B-DC364D8BC427.jpeg

Her gills look receded which could be a sign of age. Swelling could indicate a bacterial infection.

Is 8 years the exact age or was she older when you got her? 10-20 years is normal lifespan.

Her gills look receded which could be a sign of age. Swelling could indicate a bacterial infection.

Is 8 years the exact age or was she older when you got her? 10-20 years is normal lifespan.
I got her from 10cm so she is correct. Her gills receded after she was fridged for constipation about 3 years ago. I do regular water changes and amazingly she has seemed fine even with the hill issue. If it is bacterial what can I do, no exotic vets locally ?

holtfreters or methylene blue may help but with the red area around the tail cloaca and leg it does look like an infection and although there is a possibility that water held antibiotics may help an injection may be required.
info on holtfreters etc.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
info on methylene blue bath etc.. Tubbing and Safe Meds - Oregon Axolotls
info on antibiotics etc.. https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-stock-center/newsletters/Older_archive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf
on a separate note although she is a good age once this issue has been dealt with I hope you have many more years with her.
I did try to attach two vet books that have details of amphibian disorders and treatment but they are too large so to get them go to Z-Library. The world's largest ebook library. and look for Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Reptile and Amphibian (section six is amphibian) also look for Mader's Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery (chapter 128 onwards is treatments and dosages)

Last edited:
holtfreters or methylene blue may help but with the red area around the tail cloaca and leg it does look like an infection and although there is a possibility that water held antibiotics may help an injection may be required.
info on holtfreters etc.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
info on methylene blue bath etc.. Tubbing and Safe Meds - Oregon Axolotls
info on antibiotics etc.. https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-stock-center/newsletters/Older_archive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf
on a separate note although she is a good age once this issue has been dealt with I hope you have many more years with her.
I did try to attach two vet books that have details of amphibian disorders and treatment but they are too large so to get them go to Z-Library. The world's largest ebook library. and look for Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Reptile and Amphibian (section six is amphibian) also look for Mader's Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery (chapter 128 onwards is treatments and dosages)
Thank you so much for these, I will look through them and see what I can do, many thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back