Possible Fungus

upsettispaghetti

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

Recently got my axolotl from a breeder on this forum. She's been in the tank for about a week now (fully cycled, 7pH, 0 ammo/nitrites, 20 nitrates, 18C) and has been doing well so far (about 6-9 months old, eating 4-5 pellets per day).

However, when I got home today, I noticed little white cloud-like balls of fluff floating around in the tank, and a small growth on her gills. Some preliminary research tells me it's either columnaris or a basic white fungus. I just did a 50% water change and ordered some methylene blue online but it won't get here for a few days. I also don't want to subject her to a tea/salt bath as it seems quite stressful and she's still eating/at a healthy weight. I'm thinking it's from the stress of daily water changes while tubbed/travel in general. Any advice on what to do?

The sand in the tank makes it hard to clean up her poop/messiness from eating. I'll probably have to remove it, which is sad as she looks beautiful against the black background!

Attachments

• PXL_20210330_223222739.jpg
    PXL_20210330_223222739.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
That could be fungus but it also could be some dead filaments on your axolotl's gill stalks. Mine actually has that right now. Within a week, the old ones fall off and in another week, she has the spot regrown.

As for the cleaning of her tank, use a turkey baster. I have two, one for poop sucking and one for feeding. That way you don't scoop up all the sand that you spent money on every time you clean up after your axolotl.

Sorry this is pretty late, I've been stuck at work. Have you had any improvements?

Dead filaments does seem like it - the white stuff fell off the next day. It was just worrying as I was seeing similar white fluff in the tank! Her poops have gotten a lot more solid so the turkey baster solution makes sense.

She is starting to swim a ton around the tank (almost.. frantically?) but water params are still fine. It's a little worrying, but she's still pooping and eating fine. Thanks a bunch for getting back to me!

Swimming frantically? Could you get a video of that? Like is she racing around and smacking her nose off of objects or is she swimming with her tail and kinda just looking like a drunk axolotl? When mine wants to get across her tank, she uses her tail for like 3 whips and then drifts like a drunk, kinda just in no hurry to get anywhere. If she wants to really get away from something, she will tug her limbs in and swim like an alligator. She only does that when something scares her. OR if there's something bad in her water. My mom's cat fell in last year, around July, and he freaked my axolotl out and he crashed her cycle, so it was a rough summer.

She's calmed down a lot now, but for about 2-3 days she was definitely doing a lot of the former. Just pawing at the glass and bopping her head into the walls. I think she's all good now, but thanks so much for all the help and advice! Always stressful as a new owner, but having a community like this around is really reassuring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back