Possible Jefferson Salamander in Maryland

minorhero

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks,

Was out at a local stream in central Maryland today with my toddler son. Turned over a few rocks and found this little guy:

RSwzmMo.jpg

15WG7Dq.jpg

I think its a Jefferson Salamander but I'm pretty bad at the ID game. If it is a Jefferson Salamander that would be pretty neat since Maryland lists them as being on a "watchlist". I didn't keep the fella, but was curious if anyone can confirm his identity?

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Country
United States
That isn't a Jeffersons salamander, but actually a species of Dusky Salamander. I will edit this response once I check what specific species.

minorhero

Reaction score
Country
United States
That isn't a Jeffersons salamander, but actually a species of Dusky Salamander. I will edit this response once I check what specific species.
Thank you much appreciated! I was going from the pictures on that website I linked, but once you said it was a dusky salamander I started looking elsewhere and found pictures that closely resemble this little guy. I think it must be a Northern Dusky Salamander (Desmognathus fuscus).

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you much appreciated! I was going from the pictures on that website I linked, but once you said it was a dusky salamander I started looking elsewhere and found pictures that closely resemble this little guy. I think it must be a Northern Dusky Salamander (Desmognathus fuscus).
That’s what I thought, I was just checking my Petranka guide for identification of Duskys’ in that range. Northern is absolutely Right!
(The map is the range of the Dusky Salamander, Desmognathus fuscus. The dark color is D. f. fuscus, the Northern Dusky Salamander!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    ^ axie owner advised me to get some IAL, I’m working on sourcing some for my baby.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    wendtdale has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Would fish medicine made from IAL be alright or are leaves more ideal?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    So, what sex do we think my lil Mew is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    I have no idea what I’m doing 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t know how to work this website 😅 sorry, ignore the last message 🤦🏼‍♀️
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    man
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    i really want marbled newts but lately the expos have been cancled last minute because of dumb covid stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: oh yes we’re all very sarcastic +1