Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible Pets?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I have a 20 long tank with a hinged screen lid. My hamster just passed and my boyfriend does not want me getting more hamsters, mice are a no go, and I currently have gerbils.

So I have this BRAND NEW set up ( just bought the tank and topper new last week) that I would like to use for something. I would like a pet that I do not need to use any outlets and that can be handled.

I do not want snakes and I really dont want to have to upgrade later.

Reptiles, amphibians and mammals are all options. ( i know amphibians really shouldnt be touched but I will still consider them)

Bette

Reaction score
What about a box turtle? I had one of these as a child also. I remember that it was very low maintenance, and interesting to observe.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Box turtles need at least 4 sq ft of space, no tanks etc ( they can not have an enclosure with sides they can see through) . I can not get one yet, not until I get an outdoor pen. I really want one lol.

Thank you though.

Bette

Reaction score
Box turtles need at least 4 sq ft of space, no tanks etc ( they can not have an enclosure with sides they can see through) . I can not get one yet, not until I get an outdoor pen. I really want one lol.

Thank you though.

Oh, okay. I didn't know that they needed an enclosure like that! I think the one I had was kept in perhaps a 30 gallon glass tank... I had taken it in from a family member who no longer could keep it. I hope you can get one someday :happy:

C

Cliygh and Mia

Leopard geckos? They are full of personality, and pretty much the greatest of all the lizards in my opinion:wacko:

rachel1

Reaction score
Most reptiles will need a UVB source to do well. However, nocturnal geckos like crested and gargoyle geckos would be a good option. Many amphibians will do well in a tank that size, although amphibians aren't fans of handling. Terrestrial frogs or salamanders should work very well in that kind of enclosure. Dart frogs would require a top that holds in a bit more humidity. As far as mammals, I'm a huge fan of rats, they make awesome pets and have huge personality. You could also do gerbils, mice, maybe degus- I'm not sure what they require. I would suggest doing research to determine what appeals to you and what you would enjoy keeping.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Rachel rats really shouldnt be kept in a tank, But I do have 4 ratty girls in a nice cage :)

I considered cresteds because they don't need bugs but they need climbing space,

I am fairly well versed in most of the common options because I have researched them. Though I don't know much about terrestrial frogs or any salamanders but the mole salamander family.

I forgot to mention that the tank has to stay on its bottom it can not be flipped vertically as its on a double stand with my gerbil boys.

I have done a TON of research, but most sites only recommend the pets that sell commonly.

I would like leopard gecko's but they still need a heat pad and live bugs, I can feed worms, but not crickets.

I probably sound like I am trying to make things difficult, but I do appreciate the answers.

I could technically keep baby box turtles ( hatchling age until approx 2 years) in a tank.

C

Cliygh and Mia

What about north American skinks, such as five lined and broadheads? They love climbing and burrowing in leaf liter and eat earthworms, crickets, and beetles and their larva. They do need to bask though. But they are so adorable, especially if you catch a baby one!:rofl:

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
5 lined are native here and its illegal to own native here :(

C

Cliygh and Mia

Again, what about broadhead skinks? Their only downside is that they are EXTREEEEMLY hard to find in the pet-trade. The only way probably would to be to place in a wanted section in a forum like this one. But even then, it would probably be wild caught.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I will look at them. Though I do feel if I am going to get something that needs to bask I should just get the turtle. I even know a breeder.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Because they are worth the trouble. Just look at this little guy!

And when he grows up he will look like this

C

Cliygh and Mia

But be warned, because they can be large for a lizard. They are the largest north American skinks

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I have seen them in the wild here, Skinks are never something I really looked into, anything that can drop its tail usually worries me, geckos included.

They are pretty as babies... Maybe down the road, After i figure out the whole permit process.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Musk turtles make great pets and get really tame. I kept common (Stinkpot) Musks for many years in a tank like that. They remind me of miniature snappers! I've seen a lot of Razorback musk turtles for sale lately, they look really nice as adults but I've never kept them.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
they are aquatic though, I already have two aquatic turtle boys, I don't want to deal with more heaters, and cycling and water changes.

They are great pets though :) I love my map and painted boys.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
You could get a pet rock, only $19.95 + Shipping and Handling!

sde

Reaction score
You could get a pet rock, only $19.95 + Shipping and Handling!

And with a enclosure that size, you could get two or three, and who knows, maybe they would breed and you would get baby rocks! :rolleyes:
I would be willing to supply you with some, if you want, my price is lower, however they will be WC, unfortunately. Wow, I am having way to much fun with this......:rofl:

Though this isn't a reptile, amphibian, or mammal, what about a preying mantis of some sort? That would be pretty cool.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I am actually looking into a baby box turtle.its a species I have wanted for years and hatchlings only need a 20 long for at least the first year. They require special care though so they certainly aren't for everyone.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Though this isn't a reptile, amphibian, or mammal, what about a preying mantis of some sort? That would be pretty cool.

Their only downside is they only live for a year or less, so you would either have to get a male and female, and get them to breed, catch a female at the end of fall, or get one of the parthenogenetic species, like Brunners stick mantis. But my option is the fire-bellied toad, the common pet store frog. One can live in a ten gallon, but they do better in groups, so if you get one, expect to buy 2 to 3 others to live with it. Generally, you can keep them in a semi-aquatic, aquatic, or terrestrial. They can eat earthworms, but the staple should be crickets. Two cautions though. First get a locking lid, because they desiccate like clawed frogs, climb like tree frogs, and have the strength of a goliath frog, in order to get out of their enclosure. That's how I lost my little Kermit.( R.I.P) And second, be sure to get them all in the same gender, because from what I heard, if the conditions are right, they breed like wildfire, and you will have baby toadlets on your hands soon after they get settled in, if you know what I mean ;)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1