Post-fridging parameters

Sarah Jane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wrote about Bobothy the other day. He is being fridged and tea bathed at the moment due to a lack of appetite then sudden slime coat shedding and mild floatiness. EasternRomioi3 has also kindly suggested getting some food down him, which I shall do today (in UK GMT time). Assuming Bobothy recovers, I obviously need to pinpoint what caused the problem to avoid it happening again. Water parameters seemed fine, but I have done a 50% water change and a day later these are the readings:
Nitrates 0-10
Nitrites 0
GH 8-10
KH 20
pH 7.6
Cl2 0
I suspect the problem was caused by either an unnoticed temp rise overnight when the heating was sometimes on, or very small particles of uneaten food (i syringed out al obvious ones) over the last couple of weeks when he has lost his appetite. EasternRomioi3 also suggested moving away from bloodworm cubes, because of their lack of nutrition. B always enjoyed dendros, but went off them when there was a supplier change due to the lockdown here in England. (Shall hunt in the garden.) So while he used to have no leftover food in his tank, over the last few months of bloodworms this may have happened. I should be very grateful for any suggestions as to what caused the problem, or how the parameters look, Thank you very much,

How is your little guy? Any success? Keep trying to get some weight on your boy and I think he will feel much better.

Slime coat shedding is usually ammonia, chlorine, or other contaminants in the water.
Could you also let us know your ammonia values? Do you use a dechlorinator, and if so which?
Could it be that some cleaning agent or soap ended up in the water before the shedding happened?

Slime coat shedding is usually ammonia, chlorine, or other contaminants in the water.
Could you also let us know your ammonia values? Do you use a dechlorinator, and if so which?
Could it be that some cleaning agent or soap ended up in the water before the shedding happened?
Thanks very much for reaching out, Murk. I'm afraid Bobothy didn't recover, but I really appreciate the advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back