Potential axolotl owner

Leahp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
:)

We are considering adding an aquatic pet to our brood! We are completely new to this so only looking at easy to care for species.

One of the species we are looking at are Axolotls. They seem relatively easy to care for providing you keep a close eye on the temperature and choose the right substrate for them.i have always found them fascinating and endearing.

One thing that I feel nervous about is getting the water changes right. Are they simple to do?

Apart from the initial cost are they expensive to keep?

Hi!

I think axolotls are relatively easy to care for, but as with all pets they do require as much care and attention as you have to spare!

Whether or not water changes are "simple" really depends on your tap water. I'm not very familiar with tap water quality in London. Is it chlorinated? Could there be traces of metal in it?
If so, that requires some work. Most people with chlorinated tap water use a dechlorinator to treat the water before water changes; others buy tank-ready water.
I have the luxury of having tank-ready tap water, so if I need to add water I can just plunk it in directly. Doesn't get more simple than that.

As for expenses - not necessarily. I have four axolotls, and I buy a box of earth worms once... every four months, I guess? Costs about five euro's at the fish store. For variety I sometimes give them pellets or whatever fishy stuff I happen to be eating, for practically no cost at all. Electricity for filter and lighting... eh, I'm not sure, but it isn't more expensive than owning a TV is.

As with all pets, though, it's the sudden costs that do it. Of course "initial set-up" is the most expensive part, but aquariums wear, filters break down, etc. It depends on how high-tech you would like to go. Axolotls can be very happy with just a small filter and steady food, in which case your cost will be minimal.
If you like to have a fully planted tank, need a cooler or need to treat your tap water, costs could be much higher. But that goes for all aqariums.

The water changes are definitely an important part of keeping a healthy and happy axolotl; however, they aren't particularly time-consuming once you get in a good cycle.
They aren't super expensive to keep; initial cost can be $300-400 (give or take a bit depending on local sales etc.), but after that you just have to buy (or breed, if you feed live) food for your axolotl(s), and repair/replace elements of your setup as they wear and tear.
A few notes on stuff you'll want to buy/look into (not saying you haven't, but I would have found these super helpful when I was buying mine):
-The nitrogen cycle: how are you going to do it? If you have the luxury of grabbing some bacteria-laden filters or decor, absolutely do so. You'll also want a freshwater test kit (API has a great Freshwater Master Test Kit) to measure pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and make sure your tank's fully cycled before you put your axolotl in.
-Make sure you have a thermometer! I got a super cheap little digital one from Amazon and it's done wonders for both my tank and my peace of mind. If you don't have a handy way to measure tank temp, especially when you feel like it's warm, you'll just stress yourself out.
-Hides, plants, and substrate: do you have an idea of how you want your tank to be set up? Will you use a bare-bottom, or tile, or sand? Do you prefer live plants, or artificial ones? Axolotls enjoy having dark spaces to hide in, so having a few hides is essential; these can be as simple as PVC pipe tubing, or as complex as actual aquarium decor made specifically for that purpose. Whatever you choose, make sure you have your supplies ready ahead of time to give the axolotl a stress-free transition.
Sorry for the wordy reply; I don't know how much experience you have with aquatic animals, and I'm writing this like I'd advise a beginner to aquariums as a whole. Good luck with your potential new addition!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back