Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pothos totally submerged?

JonathanBalchan

Reaction score
Hey there just wondering if pothos can grow totally submerged? I have read mixed comments all over the internet and photos showing them totally submerged but also photos with just the roots in there. I have a lid one my tank with lighting and two axolotls. I have plants growing on the surface, aquatic, and i have taken cuttings of pothos and cheese plant and put them in a large bowl of water hoping that the roots will grow. If the pothos doesn't grow totally submerged how cant i grow it with a lid on the thank?

Joost

Reaction score
It worked out by me. I place the plant on a land area (mostly some mopani wood wchich sticks out of the water), and after a very short time (they grow really fast) they crawl under water.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've had it grow fully submerged as well. Although, I try to grow it so that the leaves stay out of the water.

ghostsaw

Reaction score
pothos underwater no problem and if it dosen't work out its only pothos...

freves

Reaction score
I have grown it emerged for years and it does great. Some of the leaves remain continuously underwater and even though they survive for long periods of time this way they do eventually die. As long as some of the plant has air exposure it should do well.
Chip

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In my case it does fanstastically well if the leaves are emerged, but if they are underwater they don´t last very long. As i told you, the stems and root can be completely submerged and don´t even require a substrate, but for best results, the leaves should be out of the water.

vincent

Reaction score
I just chuck bits in with any tank that has water in and it grows really well some leaves need to be out the water ,but it grows really fast, and provides something for your baby newts or frogs to climb on:happy:

ghostsaw

Reaction score
I have some in my newt tank in the basement and they used to have big leaves now they just have alot of small ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!