Potomotyphlus kaupii

pollywog

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Andrew Tillson-Willis
A photograph of one of Tony's Caecilians.
28102.jpg

Very interesting to see that this species has appeared in the UK. Tony - do these animals show up with frequency? Also, how many P kaupii do you possess? I must say, I am quite jealous of you, if only this species would show up in the U.S...

Hi Mark
i have 2 at the moment you don't get many caecilians in the uk.

Well, I must say I am truly jealous of you. I didn't think many Gymnophiona species were offered across the pond. I guess it is some pretty good luck though that you get such a rare and beautiful species. I wish you the best of luck with them.

Mark

I picked up a couple of these about 4 weeks ago probably from the same batch as anthony's. It's taken til now for them to settle in and start feeding properly but here's a couple of pics anyway.
Ben
29373.jpg

29374.jpg

Great pics Ben! I must say, all these Potomotyphlus appearing in Britain (along with our current president) make me feel like defecting. It seems like you've got them in a really nice set up, got any pics of that as well?

Once again, nice pics - truly impressive animals.

Mark

Mark glad you liked the pics i'll post some of their feeding frenzy later on, the viv/aquarium is pretty standard, 900mm x 400mm x 400mm glass aquarium with 30mm of silica sand and a good depth of beech leaves and two bits of bogwood with java fern(Microsaurium sp) growing on them nothing to look at but good for photo's
Ben

i know these pics may cause disdain and hatred for me but there is an explanation! After a month of life on their own i've moved my P.kaupii in with my Typhlonectes natans. The kaupii have not really been feeding that well and although still looking healthy certainly aren't as keen as the natans, however within two days of the move they are changed beasts and putting the weight back. anyway for comparison here's a feeding pic
!
29622.jpg

Here's a question for you Caecilian experts: water chemistry?
They need soft-ish, acid water, right?
This has always put me off trying to acquire any here (hard water area).

good luck, alan, they still havent gotten back to me on where they originate from....

Paris sorry new i'd forgot something, The P.kaupii were brought in from Peru, but information is sketchy, Ed K told me that they aren't actually listed from peru! So in short i don't really know!

oh it's going to be one of those days, alan my Caecilians are in soft water at a pH of around 6.5 depending on how recent my water changes have been. I'm changing about 30% each week and siphoning any uneaten food off daily then topping up!
ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back