Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Preventing larvae from eating each other?

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Hi i have heard larvae will eat each other at about a inch in size . Of course i want to prevent that. How many can i keep together in one container till they metamorph? And in what size should the container/aquarium be? Or do i have to separate each one? Witch seems almost in posable. And does anyone know if louisana newts have a eft stage go on land? Thanks:smile:

Lertsch

Reaction score
I would say the best way of preventing cannibalism would be to separate the big larvae from the small. If you don’t have enough tanks/containers for that, make sure they are fed well and add a lot of plants so the smaller ones can hide in them.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Yes, the best ways are to either separate the larvae, or feed them all, and stock their tank with small live foods, so if any do become hungry, they won't have to resort to cannibalism

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Thanks I did split them up. I do have java moss with them they like to climb in. I received my bbs Friday in the mail. I hope they will make it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1