PROBLEM! My Male T. Granulosa Wont Eat And Is Acting Wierd?!

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi everybody.

My male T. Granulosa is being weird and wont eat. He used to just sit on a float and munch on worms, but now, he's acting different? He started going in the water a lot, and is acting all panicky. He swims around kind of frantically dong nothing it would seem. He doesn't seem to be entering breeding, because he doesn't have nor devolving his breeding dress. He doesn't amplex females even when there in the water with him. He just swims around like something is wrong. I did a water test last night: Ammonia <.25, ph. 7.4, nitrite, 0.0, nitrate, 40 ppm. And the worst thing is that he wont eat! I will have him in front of a pile of worms, and he will just walk past them, like he is trying to escape or something. I drop worms in the water and he doesn't eat them. He wont stay on a float. Even when there is food on it. I chop the worms, so they are bite sized. The only thing I can think of is the nitrate. But, it has been 40 or more for a long time, and when he went in the water before he would eat and be normal. But now he isn't acting right. And not eating. He is SUPER skinny! And it really worries me. I have not had a problem with him before. He started doing this just a few days ago, I don't know why. He seems kind of week too, like when I set him on the ground he kind of pushes forward, without lifting his head. I will try secluded feeding in a plastic tub or something. I changed the filter media in my tank yesterday, but he was acting weird before it. And he seems to be getting "weirder". I don't know why.

Can someone please help me, I am kind of panicking. I am soo worried for my little fella, he just wont eat!

Thanks. -Seth

You said he is skinny? If he was doing fine before then he should be of good weight. When he was eating before how much would he eat...like barely enough to survive? Do you have pictures?? are the other ones eating fine?

Yes, he is skinny, very skinny. He was eating enough before. he would have a few pieces of worm. he has always been skinnier than the others, not fat, just kind of in between. But then he stopped eating. I will see if i can get pictures. Yes, the other three females are fat and healthy.

yes. i have had them for about 4 months now? about that amount of time.

I wonder if he's trying to leave the water and hibernate? It might be worth putting him in a more terrestrial enclosure and see if he calms down.

Maybe. I will try it I think. Its not that cold here, its just warming up I think. So I am not sure. Thanks guys for the help. Much appreciated! -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back