PROBLEMS !!! HELP NEEDED !!!

D

dorota

i have a big problem, nh3 nh4 are too high (light green colour, between the second and the third colour on the scale) ph 7, temp 22 (c),

the woman from the store told me not to feed him and to change zeolites every 2 days and that is what i am doing from 5 days, this is a new acquarium. today i saw that my ambystoma mexicanum white type ate many gravels and his belly is full that he has a difficulties to turn his body and to go up, i suppose he was hungry. because of this stressfull situation he got white very little spots like dots on his body i do not know if it is fungus. my ambystoma whants to eat and he is also very curious. i do not know what to do with nh3 nh4 and his ilness... i didn't find bigger gravels where can i buy them...? please help me..

please tell me do ambystoma like a connact with people, or maby he hates being touched...???
how will he react if i put him on my hand ofcourse in a water? i am afraid of being bite by my ambystoma, is it hurt?

Zeolites are not very effective. It is much more important to do WATER changes! Every day, take out at least 25% of the water, and put in fresh water (without chlorine). These may help:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml

If he is swallowing gravel, remove it immediately! He does not need any gravel. Just a bare tank is OK. Maybe you can find better substrate sometime later. Can you find rocks outside?

They do not like to be touched. They may bite you (thinking that your finger is food), but it does not hurt, they do not have teeth.

thank you, is it normal to do changes every day ? for how long? i heard of changing water once every 2 weeks? i am using filter...

outside there are only stones from the sea but i do not think they are ok amby is a lake animal...???

what about spots they are very little like dots do they go by theirselves when water is ok?

you need to do waterchanges every day until your tank is cycled, the waterchanges are to keep the water safe for your axolotl to live in until it is cycled. Cycling can take a bit of time - anywhere from 3 weeks to 8 weeks.

What colour is your axolotl as the white dots may be part of the colour pigmentation.

thank you so much,
can i feed him a little during the cycling, maby 1 little caridina a day, what do you think?

he is white, where can i find fotos of sicknesses of ambystoma's skin?

i read that a stress like no good conditions of water can provoke some ilness...

Hi dorota

Have a look at this link: www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm it may not be an illness of the skin.

It shows and explains the different colours and types of axolotl. Also, if you have a read of this site, it should help you.

If that doesn't help are you able to upload a photo of your axolotl using the upload attachment button below?

(Message edited by heihei on January 21, 2007)

OK I WILL TRY WITH SENDING A FOTO.
I 'VE CHANGED THE WATER, I 'VE THROWN AWAY GRAVELS AND WE WILL SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN...?
I SEE THAT HE HAS SOME DIFFICULTIES IN MOVING ON THE GLASS BUT NOW I CAN NOT HELP HIM MABY IN 3 DAYS NEW BIGGER GRAVELS WIIL ARRIVE.

WHAT ABOUT FEEDING HIM DURING THE CYCLING???

UNFORTUNATELY I DID NOT MANAGED TO TAKE A FOTO OF HIS SKIN'S PROBLEM, SORRY I TRIED

I HOPE HE WILL MAKE THEM GO OUT AND WILL GET BETTER SOON
76755.jpg

Yes, you should feed him during cycling. But you should immediately remove all uneaten food.

Yes, bad water conditions can provoke illness.

If there is ammonia or nitrite in the water (during cycling), do water changes every day. After the cycling period (1 month, approximately), then you can do partial water changes every week or every 2 weeks (how much depends on the tank size, etc.)

ok i will do like you says. but for now you suggests me to not worry about illness till the water conditions are ok or i should treat his skin with sth?

sorry for so many questions...

I don't know if you should treat him or not. I cannot see any problem in the photo. If an axolotl gets a fungus infection, it usually looks like white/gray fuzz (fur-like), or "stringy material" hanging from the skin. I don't know of any photos.

If you decide to treat him, salt bath is probably best.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

for now nitrite is gone, i lowered also the temperature from 22 c to 17 c. my pet is more calm.
is it normal that he has golden rings around his eyes (inside eyes)?

about his skin it's seems like white hominy on the whole body except transparent parts ...?

thank you for helping me !!!
smile.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back