Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Progress Report - Mary Rose's Eggs

K

kim

Jenny,

I believe you need a CITES permit to import/export endangered animals... which axies are. Its like a passport for them saying who, what, where and why about the ainmal.

I believe that its very hard to get these permits.

J

jenny

ah right...oh well....well at least i understand the whole thing wi katya and ppl askin to see a copy of her permit! i didnt really know what one was! thanks!
happy.gif

E

elle

My eggs are 6 days old now and there is one infertile one (I think it is, it just isnt developing. Its still the same blob it was the day we got them) How do I take out this one without disturbing the other eggs? o.0 Hehe, even I cant wait for your eggs to hatch Mary Rose ^-^

M

mary

it's 9:20 am wednesday 11th, August 2004 and ONE OF MY BABIES HAS HATCHED!!!!!!!!

I was just looking in the tub, thinking that none of the babies would have hatched yet, and i saw this cloudy jely thing and thought - hmm that wasn't there last night - hang on there was an egg there last night!!! Then I looked frantically for the baby - and there it was, just sitting there waiting for all its brothers and sisters to come out and play!

I have to go to work soon - so I hope that i get to see one actually come out of the egg. I want to see how it does it!!!!

I don't know why - but i thought that when they came out of the eggs they would look different, but it still looks the same as it did when it was inside the egg - just not curled up! I'm not disapointed - but you know when you don't know what somthing will look like, and then you see it, and it's different - eventhough you didn't have a pictuer of what it would look like anyway - you just thought it would be different! Hope i didn't confuse anyone with that ( know what im talking about!!!)

Anyway i have to get ready for work (and take another look at the babies!)

Oh, and to answer you question elle - just put your fingers in there and get it out - the others will be ok - they are stuck pretty firmly to the plants - and if they come off - they will still develope on the bottom of the tank - i had a few like this. They are pretty slippery and pretty well stuck on - so it might take a few attempts to get the infertile ones out.

E

elle

Aww how it precious :D I cant wait for mine to hatch, I just dont want them to cannibalise on each other :| When our eggs hatch we have to buy some frozen daphnia or this liquid food.. Two different aquariums said feed them different things o.0

*random* I bought a blue male siamese fighting fish (or Betta) and I might breed him too ^-^ Babies are so cute :D

E

elle

*another question (Im so annoying) >.<

Since there is no filter or air stone in the tub the eggs are in, should the water be changed every week? I cant find any information on this, so Im asking all you smart people ;)

J

jenny

i think with babies your supposed to change the water every day even with a filter and you need a lota airation while they are still eggs.

M

mary

You need to airate the container the eggs are in. Mine wasn't filtered - but i think it would be a good idea though. I just had an airstone, but with my next lot i will definatly be using a filter!!!

Elle, you're in australia arn't you? who told you about frozen daphnia? Where can i get some? some live ones would be good too!!! and what's this liquid food? I've been trying to find some alternative to brine shrimp AND NO ONE HAS ANY IDEA!!! I know what i could feed them - but i couldn't get any from anywhere! Any help with this would be very very good!!!

ANYWAY!!! 6 BABIES HAVE HATCHED NOW!!! I helped one of them - i know i shouldn't have, but it was trying so hard to get out - but just couldn't!!!! And it's egg was so much smaller than the others - the baby was the same size as the others - but the egg was so so small!!! I felt sorry for it, but i won't help any others.

M

mik

Mary if your struggling for food try a little fish fry food available from most aquarium type shops.
Also some people have tried mashed up egg yolk and liver. But it really fouls up the water. You will need to change water afterwards - or feeds in sperate container.

M

mary

i have brine shrimp and tubifex worms and heaps of stuff.

I was just wondering what the other stuff was all about.

J

jenny

i read somewhere you can help them out the egg if it is struggling. i think u should keep the one you helped that was the smallest! call it jenny! lol

i cant believe its hard for u to get daphnia and frozen daphnia its well easy get here n like...the pet shop near me i asked how much it was for frozen n they was like 1.99 or 3 for 4£ they had tonnes of it. sorry to rub it in lol...can u get blood worms?

by the way...today i gave oswold 3 slugs which were pretty big..and he still wanted more food yet how do they fit in his belly. they well shouldnt fit in him compared to the size of them to him. but omg i hate slugs n dont wanna touch em but this sucky thing i have just sucks em up then u squeeze it and they pop out a bit then put it near the axys mouth its so cool! i hope u have already all bought one!! :p

is there a point when you have to say no to food to them?

E

elle

Yeah Im in Australia ^-^ NSW though.. And your in Queensland..

I can get the liquid food from the Aquarium, so if you ask them for it so you can feed it to your baby axi's someone will be able to get some/tell you where to get some.

The petshop (the same one where I got the eggs from) stock the frozen daphnia. They should be in most petshops. (just ask around lots)

Meep I think the eggs are slowing down because on the embryo development photo page thing day 5/6/7 had the embryo developing a head/gill bud things and my eggs arent up to that yet. (Day 7 for them) Im going to airate the container today, I guess. I dont know how to but Ill try. (Idea's anyone?) When the babies hatch they will be put into this big tank I used to use when I had my rat (that means were going to clean it out completely) and we need to buy a filter/pump so maybe we can buy the filter now and use it in their tub too? (my dad says that the plant helps too.. they are stuck to plants)

M

mary

Every one in my area is so dumb!!! there is only one pet shop around here (that's like the whole district) and the lady has no idea where to get daphnia or liquid food OR ANYTHING!!! I even went to the DPI and asked the guy incharge of aquaculture and he said he would ring me, and that was 3 days after the eggs were layed!!!

I haved to take my brother to toowoomba next week so I'll see if i have time to go to any pet shops there.

I just had an old air pump and i just put a tube on it and an airstone, and just stuck it in there. Nothing tricky. If you don't have another air pump, just try putting a T piece in your existing one (if you have one)

M

mary

Anyway..... all of the eggs have hatched now - except 2, the embryos are like almost a week behind - but they are moving in their eggs - so they are alive, I've put these 2 little ones in a seperate container, and i'll just keep an eye on them - they might hatch????

The babies are sooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!

E

elle

My mum bought a pump, tube and air stone today and we moved the eggs and plant into a bigger tank. They are going quite nicely ^-^ I can see the little buds on their sides. There is one that looks super good and I hope that it hatches first. I was surprised at first because on the embryo development photos they look so much bigger, and then you see them in real life and they are still tiny, tiny, tiny but its so interesting. If you watch for long enough, they move. Once I sat for ages and one of them curled around about 45 degrees o.0 Woah

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1