Prolapse?

AxolotlChomp

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl is 1.5yrs and recently began showing signs of being a male. His cloaca grew quite large but recently I'm worried that it is too large. It's hard to get a decent picture of it, but it seems like it hangs awfully low and I'm very worried it may be a prolapse. Cloaca is entirely the same color and texture as the rest of his body. Underneath is hard to get a picture of as I've tubbed him, but I don't see anything that appears to be an open hole or anything hanging out. Just looks like two large testicles from the bottom.

Recently had a small cycle crash so he is tubbed due to a bit of skin irritation, not sure if that could be the cause as well. He was previously housed with one female who he is now separated from as I realized he was male, also not sure if perhaps he was getting ready to mate and swelled up.

Sorry the images aren't very clear, I can try to get more if necessary I just didn't want to stress him too much.

Attachments

• C5499FF9-4191-4F69-99BF-DAA62CC662AD.jpeg
    C5499FF9-4191-4F69-99BF-DAA62CC662AD.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 599BA85E-8EAF-4BC9-A80F-B28923756CFA.jpeg
    599BA85E-8EAF-4BC9-A80F-B28923756CFA.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 83
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back