Pseudotriton ruber fish safe?

Hecklad

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20 gallon long tank that I keep a school of Hemitremia flammea and a large-ish Etheostoma rufilineatum in, all the fish are at least 1.5 inches. I have been considering modifying it to add a land area to allow for a single or pair of rubers to live in there. Would they be a threat to my fish?

Honestly, I'd be more worried about your fish being a threat to the salamanders. I've kept native minnows, dace and several species of native darters. They are pretty bold, boisterous fish that are also aggressive feeders. I'd be more worried about the fish picking on the salamanders and injuring them (especially their eyes), stressing them out and easily out-competing them for food.

I kept darters in a 4-foot-long tank and some were vicious to other fish in their territory, killing them immediately.

Interesting, what species did you keep? I have never had that happen with any of the darters I have kept. The flame chubs are extremely docile and, while larger, are akin to the attitude of white cloud minnows, so I am not worried about them causing harm.

Interesting, what species did you keep? I have never had that happen with any of the darters I have kept. The flame chubs are extremely docile and, while larger, are akin to the attitude of white cloud minnows, so I am not worried about them causing harm.
Rainbow, Iowa, fantail, banded. Not all at once.

I had four rainbows and they killed the Iowa darters in a four-foot tank.

I kept rainbows with snubnoses much smaller than themselves and they never messed with them. Could be because I had the tank over stocked though so they couldn't really form territories.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back